Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Monthly to monthly contracts what they don’t tell you

traceyrorison
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a monthly contract with vf. I recently got a new deal with the carphone warehouse. Much better deal. So I called vf to change my number over and was told I have to switch this to a pay as you go and wait 30 days to get the number transferred! No one told me this. Why is it that you can switch from another network much easier than your own. I wish it was made clearer. After many phone call trying to sort this out I called complaints to let them know this is poorly advertised and that I wasn’t happy paying for 2 bills in one month. She offered to only charge me for one contract then transferred me to a lovely man who moved my sim over instantly. Finally I though that’s it solved, then I got a text from complaints to “rescind my offer!” I have never heard of this before. I can’t bear to call again! 

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Unfortunately that's the caveat of taking out a contract with an independent and wanting to keep your own mobile number by transferring it across to the new contract.

Sometimes contacting the Vodafone Retentions Team via calling 191 and choosing the Thinking of Leaving option can be better.

Moving old vodafone number onto new Vodafone Contract. Credits to AnnS.
There are two ways this can be done.

1.  Cancel the old contract and ask for the number to be moved to PAYG.  The number will be scheduled to move to PAYG after 30 days.  You will then receive a new PAYG SIM card to activate and top up a small amount to get it active on the network.  You will then be able to transfer the number to the new contract.

2.  Ask Vodafone for a PAC code, move the old number to an alternative network, use the SIM as PAYG on the other network and ask for a PAC code to move the number onto the new contract. If your original contract near it’s end date ?

If not then actioning the above would end it and invoke any relavent early termination fee. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I now know the process, but it wasn’t made clear to me in the first place. I think they need to make this more obvious to customers in the first place.

Carphone Warehouse get a bigger kickback from the network for opening a contract so they'll just open a new contact willingly.

Vodafone would rather I suspect discuss a deal with the account holder via Retentions which is the more seamless way of upgrading, especially when wanting to keep their original number.

Some people are not bothered about moving their original number so start afresh with a new number.

Did you ask Carphone Warehouse and Vodafone Customer services about the option of moving your number from your Current contract to the new one being taken out with an independent so they then knew of your intentions.

Unfortunately we do see similar posts to yours where a person has decided to open up a new contract instead of upgrading and only then if they want to move their Current Phone number onto the new contact do they then become aware of the processes needed.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

@traceyrorison wrote:

I now know the process, but it wasn’t made clear to me in the first place. I think they need to make this more obvious to customers in the first place.

Yes @traceyrorison 

Carphone should have mentioned you would have been provided with a new number at the point of sale and explained the process of transferring the number to the new contract.  On the Carphone site, there is a box to tick for when you are already a Vodafone customer but with Evo, you would still be credit checked for the device part of the contract.

Carphone would have been able to upgrade you but prefer to sell a new number, this is much for lucrative than selling an upgrade with the same number.