Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Stopping a blocked number from leaving a Voicemail

liammcl
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, 
How do I ask Vodafone to stop a specific mobile number from being able to leave a voicemail.
I am using a call blocking app "Call Control" which blocks the number, but the person can then leave a message on voicemail.
Looking around, the general feeling is that Vodafone itself has to do something at their end.
Anyone any ideas?
I am again on the phone, for one hour and counting , to Vodafone and the customer service really do not have a clue about this.
Thanks
Liam

14 REPLIES 14

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Maybe your actual phone has a call blocking feature too @liammcl 

If your receiving calls / Voicemails that are harassment then this is Vodafones advice > nuisance-calls-and-texts. 

If it's a company or businesses that are leaving Voicemails then try speaking with their customer services.

The police might be able to help too.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks,
I will look into whether it's something the phone itself can do.
I think it would be a great idea, for a vodaphone customer to be able to block voicemails being left from a caller
(in my case , it's a customer with dementia, leaving endless voicemails, day and night)
I find it strange that it is so hard to find the functionality to do this, as I am sure I'm not the only one who has this problem.
Maybe I'll ring round other phone suppliers and see if they offer this service
Thanks
Liam

hrym

I've done this, though I don't know whether it stops voicemail.   From memory, I think what I did was to open the call record and then tap the three dots at the right-hand corner of the screen to find the blocking option.

Many Thanks Hyrm,
Unfortunately that only blocks the call coming through,
The blocked caller can leave as many voicemail messages as they want..
Seems like a major weakness , which no-one is looking at 
Cheers
Liam

hrym

I'm not sure whether any voicemail system has a blocking option, tbh.   The only thing you could so, if this is someone with dementia, is to contact their family or support system and see whether they can do something.

People with that distressing condition usually move on to something else, so this may not go on too long - with luck.

I have also been experiencing the same issue. I contacted Vodafone; advisors were simply unable or unwilling to help. One even told me to call the fraud department. What’s the point in blocking a malicious caller (family member, unfortunately) if they can leave voicemails? I can’t believe Vodafone can’t block blocked callers from leaving voicemails. Vodafone need to consider the impact on their customers’ mental health when experiencing issues like this. 

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Unable to help. Not unwilling. 

The reality is, there isn't a facility to stop specific numbers calling you.

The call blocking simply automatically rejects incoming calls from blocked numbers. 

If you have voicemail, the call will go straight to voicemail (as do all rejected calls, same as if you reject a regular call when your phone rings - goes to VM). 

The only other potential solution is to remove voicemail from your account (by dialling ##002# from your phone and dialling it). 

This way, if you remove voicemail, then rejected calls will hear the busy tone and won't be able to leave a message.

With all due respect, you were not part of the conversations. One of the advisors I spoke with was simply unwilling to help not to mention uninterested. 

And I’ve been advised by another Vodafone representative that there is a facility to satisfy my requirement but it would mean involving the police. 

Thanks! 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I can understand your frustration @Emmemmb There's no facility in place for us to stop calls from a particular number, blocking the number via your handset will just reject the call and it will divert to Voicemail. I can understand this may not help as your family member has your number and so can still make calls and leave a voicemails. As @donnyguy advised, you could switch your voicemail service off a while by dialing 1210 and the calls will just be rejected. If this isn't a suitable option, our page on stopping nuisance calls and texts offers advice on taking this matter further. If you'd prefer not to take this kind of action, we'd also be able to help by changing your number. I understand this may be a little drastic, but it would stop the family members unwanted contact.