Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Stopping a blocked number from leaving a Voicemail

liammcl
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, 
How do I ask Vodafone to stop a specific mobile number from being able to leave a voicemail.
I am using a call blocking app "Call Control" which blocks the number, but the person can then leave a message on voicemail.
Looking around, the general feeling is that Vodafone itself has to do something at their end.
Anyone any ideas?
I am again on the phone, for one hour and counting , to Vodafone and the customer service really do not have a clue about this.
Thanks
Liam

14 REPLIES 14

Hi all, 
I've moved on since the post, as the man's family swapped his number.
It is strange how there is no link between the blocked call, and a blocked voicemail message from that call.
Maybe a solution is to make an app, which detects a blocked call, blocks it, and then calls the voicemail to see if a message has been left by that number, and if so sends a tone of three (like phone phreaking) to delete it (option 3)
In the States, it's very easy with "Google Voice" , but that's not here atm tho' 
Orr mebbe, the app could put the blocked number on hold, while it rings ##002# to stop any voice message being able to be left, and then reconnects to the blocked call , to hang it up. The caller wouldn't be able to leave a message as voicemail is off. straight away the app could turn voicemail back on, ready for the next caller
Anywho...seems very strange in this age of t'internet and stuff that it's not available in the UK
Liam

hrym
17: Community Champion

I think the issue is that calls are blocked at the handset rather than the network level.   The network therefore operates the same as if you'd rejected the call or simply not answered it.   I'm sure it would be possible to operate network blocking, but I don't know if any do it - though BT (landlines) have such a system, which diverts calls from those numbers to a junk voicemail box.   It comes under Call Features and may be chargeable (?).

AnnS

There won't be a way to stop the caller leaving a voicemail @liammcl .

The only way to stop the nuisance caller reaching you would be to report the call as SPAM, this can be completed by texting CALL with the number to 7726.

Yes thank you Ann
I have sent a text yesterday.
Seems like a needed service. 
A blocked number being able to leave endless voicemails , is not good
Thanks
Liam

Cyberhell46
1: Seeker

I have the same issue, from someone I don't know who's accidentally dialled my number - she has dementia and keeps calling me multiple times a day, several times a week for weeks on end.  Once I established that she was safe (her messages were distressing) I blocked her number but then she can still leave voicemails, sometimes 5 or 6 of them and they're all 5-9 minutes long and I don't seem to be able to delete them without listening through to the end.  She left address and phone numbers for her family members on some messages (they're at the other end of the country from me) so I've been in discussion with her daughter who keeps trying to delete all of my details from her phone, but it looks like she's written my number down in multiple places.  I either lose all ability to have my voicemail on for my family and friends, or have to handle all the messages she leaves and it's pretty stressful for me and no doubt her family too.  It's ridiculous in 2023 that there's no technology to bounce voicemails from blocked numbers so they cannot record messages, or to just reject the call full stop.  Hope you got sorted.