Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrading…..sort of.

DLuser321
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, just after some advice please.

I’m halfway through a 24 month contract (iPhone 15 pro max, 150Gb data, unlimited everything else etc etc). I pay £61.50 a month and it was a decent deal I’m happy with.

However, I decided to get a 16 pro max, sim free, direct from Apple and it arrives in a week or so.

As I often do, I’ll sell my current handset and would normally pay off my contract, port my number and start a new deal but obviously this time I’ve just pre ordered the handset only and don’t need a new deal.

I plan to sell the phone (the 15 pro max), stick the money in my premium bonds or in my trading 212 account and continue to pay Vodafone so that I can shift my eSIM to my new handset and still use my data/minutes/contract as I am currently.

Anybody see any pitfalls with this plan? Presumably I’m allowed to use my ‘airtime’ part of my contract in whatever device I wish?

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @DLuser321 

You are quite correct that you can use your Vodafone sim in any unlocked to all network's you wish to. 

Nothing wrong in making moves to bag the best deals you can. 

If i can be of any further help please don't hesitate to ask  😎 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

You will still have the device part of the contract @DLuser321 , if you pay this off you will be released from the airtime part of the contract and this will continue as a 30 day contract until you cancel or change the plan.  If you decide to pay off the device, this will be reflected on your credit report.

Thanks @AnnS , I can’t see a split between device and airtime in my contract though, I don’t think I have that type of tariff - otherwise I’d do it as I’d be able to know what the sim/airtime element costs. As it is I can’t work it out…..perhaps it’s because my deal came from a third party website?  My tariff is called business red 150?  I actually don’t want to cancel, I’ll just let the monthly £61.50 keep going out each month until next October I think. At that point I’ll be out of contract and will just look for a sim only deal with Vodafone or port my number to the best sim deal. 

Thanks for the answer though, cheers.

AnnS

That explains it @DLuser321., the handset and airtime is combined from a third party.