cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

What happens to SMS and Calls when the number ports?

MrAlex94
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

As the title states - I'm curious as to what happens to SMS and calls when the number port just happens, that is when you lose service on your original provider and the new provider (in the case Vodafone), and you need to restart the phone with the new provider. Are they lost forever? Does the person trying to send an SMS getting number unavailable? Is the switchover immediate and Vodafone gets all the new info the moment the number is ported, and you receive them when you restart your phone?

Just wondering, as I didn't notice I had no service on either phones for about half an hour and was wondering what would happen if anyone sent an SMS or call during that time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

The number port takes 1 working day as long as its not a weekend and you complete the keep my number form before 5pm so as the port happens a person sending a text to you should be received by the new host network ie Vodafone. 

Unfortunately things can and will be lost in the process and as networks don't actually retain content of a text this would be lost. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers

The number port takes 1 working day as long as its not a weekend and you complete the keep my number form before 5pm so as the port happens a person sending a text to you should be received by the new host network ie Vodafone. 

Unfortunately things can and will be lost in the process and as networks don't actually retain content of a text this would be lost. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @MrAlex94

Please see this link : What happens on the day my number moves to Vodafone?

As you can from the link until the port is completed, you will still be able to make and receive calls and texts on your old phone and you will not lose any calls or texts.  When your network changes to Vodafone, usually a quick turn off and back on should do the trick and any texts sent during the porting process will come though to your new network.

Porting is also done in stages, first outgoing followed by incoming (I think).

I saw the article but just wanted to make sure. So, the moment signal is lost on the old SIM, Vodafone immediately starts to receive SMS, even if the new SIM shows no signal, and when you restart the phone any undelivered messages should be deliver, right? Just wanted to clarify is all, thanks 🙂

AnnS

Hi @MrAlex94

That is how it should happen with any new texts being sent to the Vodafone Message Centre for forwarding onto your number.

BandOfBrothers

Yes the Vodafone network servers will hold it and continue to try and deliver the text to your phone. 

Current Phone  >