Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

NUC issue - Sony Xperia 1ii

ocw
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I recently purchased a Sony Xperia 1 ii from Vodafone, buying it outright over a phone call. I bought the phone by calling the number under the EVO plan system, not as part of a PAYG package. 

I want to use this phone with a sim card from another provider (the sim has been active and in use for appx. a year). I have received an NUC by completing the relevant form, and have attempted to input it twice, unsuccessfully. The IMEI is definitely correct, and I was very careful entering the NUC (twice). Checking the dialer code, I have three more attempts to unlock the phone.

I spoke to someone using the live chat feature, who stated absolutely that all I needed to do was insert a Vodafone sim card once and the NUC would magically decide to work. They did also mention at one point a 30 day usage requirement before it would work, contradicting the first statement (looking elsewhere in the forum, I believe this is definitely incorrect?). I think this would only be valid for a phone bought as PAYG? 

I would really appreciate some help on this matter. Has anyone had success unlocking a Sony phone using the NUC code, or do I need to request something else? And is the advisor correct about needing to use a Vodafone sim card once before it will work? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hello @ocw 

Looking at the unlock-code-request form it now states “ Good news - many of our devices, including all Apple products, are already unlocked. Just insert a SIM from another network and you should be ready to go” 

This is to be inline with the ruling from Ofcom that all phone's need to be unlocked to all Network's, that comes into effect in December 2021.

Mobile-firms-banned-from-selling-locked-handsets. 

So please do check your handset by trying another mobile network providers sim card that's activated in your phone.

To add Vodafone removed the 30 day usage requirement for unlocking quite a while ago so I'm not sure why Live Chat are advising this 

If a phone is still locked to Vodafone because it was supplied sometime ago then the two requirements are …

• The phone was supplied by Vodafone.
  • The phone hasn't been blacklisted.

If your phone is locked to Vodafone so no other network sim card works then have a word with the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Twitter DM and or Facebook Messenger and they'll help .

Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. Link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

You could also call Vodafone on 191 or 0333 3040191. 

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi @BandOfBrothers

Thanks for the reply, exactly what I thought so good to get confirmation there.

The phone is definitely network locked - dialling *#*#7465625#*#* reveals that. I now have two attempts remaining to unlock it following vodafone's advice... My sim card works fine (as does my work sim, which is on a third network)

I followed through with the previous instructions I gained from the live chat, purchased a PAYG sim, wasted £5 top up on it (which was automatically consumed and converted into a renewing bundle without consent, but that's a whole different discussion) and made a couple of phone calls. The phone restarted so appears to now be linked to vodafone. Applied for a new NUC code (identical to the original), input the number as per the guidance, and again no luck.

I spoke to someone through the customer service number, who gave very different advice - that it was actually a sim card lock and I noted to contact my network provider and ask them to unlock it. Apparently, that would definitely sort the problem. Obviously, it didn't, the phone is still network locked, and I'm one attempt closer to completely locking the phone. 

As usual, vodafone's customer service has been abysmal, with conflicting incorrect advice that would 'definitely' fix things. I used to be a vodafone customer (for many years), and knew they were dreadful for customer service - naive mistake having any involvement with them again.

Anyway, that's the rant, sorry for going on. Have you got any other advice? I'm reluctant to contact their support again as I don't have hours to waste during the day being told I'm wrong, I have to have a vodafone phone number, and this latest incorrect advice will absolutely solve things.

Obviously if a vodafone support agent happens to read this and wants to prove they can be helpful, I am very open to being surprised!

Thanks again.