Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R219h

Kjb1545
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, thanks for allowing my to join. 

I was bought the above device to use in my caravan, unfortunately the signal in the area on the Vodafone network is poor. I have requested from Vodafone a NUC but they are unable to assist because it wasn’t bought from them, it was bought in Argos together with a Vodafone SIM. I have visited the local Argos and they can’t assist neither. What can I do now? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Kjb1545 

It is correct that Argos cannot help with unlocking.

However Vodafone can unlock the device for you by filling out the unlock-code-request form. as long as the device hasn't been blacklisted.

The other requirement is that the device was bought from Vodafone and if Vodafone are going to stick to this then outlets like Argos need to add info into their point of sale that these devices can be unlocked.

If you have filled out the form already what exactly has Vodafone advised  ?

Call 0333 3040 191,  use Live Chat or liaise with the Vodafone Social Media Team's as their is no reason why they can't unlock it for you in my opinion. 

Vodafone Social Media Team's Link. 

If you have to then as a last resort raise a complaint. 

Hopefully this won't escalate to that level.

A last resort would also be to check what Argos return policy is.

And or sell the device and buy an unlocked dongle device to use your next new sim in.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Kjb1545 

Your problem here will most probably be the device is not connected to the SIM number, providing the SIM has not been disconnected just from the network for non use.  For example, you have used the SIM during a 180 day period, just add a small data pack from here: Top up and use the device on the network for a few days.  You should then be able to complete the unlocking request form and receive the unlocking code.

There is a previous thread here, it may quite and old thread and not your device but the procedure will be the same : https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Unlocking/Unlocking-a-mobile-WiFi-device/m-p/2605348#M66004

When you have unlocked the device, you will need the APN settings for the new operator.  Further information here: Device Guides R219 

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Personally I wouldn't pay Vodafone any money and go the eBay route and get an unlock code that way. Works out cheaper than topping up a SIM and waiting in the hope that Vodafone won't give you the middle finger a month down the road.

It's because of companies like Vodafone that Ofcom finally stepped up and put a blanket ban in place on selling locked devices allowing customers to switch providers with ease and reduce landfill. 👍

Thank you for the advice. I will check them out and see what each can sort out for me