Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Reactivating an inactive number

Malcyb
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I’m just wondering if anybody can assist me with a problem. I have a SIM provided by Vodafone Business which I used until I left my job. The phone number assigned to the SIM was deactivated. Unfortunately I’ve found that the phone in which I used the SIM is now locked (it is a Xiaomi phone which has a Xiaomi account assigned to it and I foolishly only provided my phone number as the account login credentials) and I can’t unlock it without an OTP code sent to that number. Is there anyway that Vodafone is able to retrieve a text message sent to my inactive number, or temporarily reactivate the SIM, even though I no longer work for the company through which I was provided the SIM? Thanks

EDIT: just to be clear, this is an unlocked phone, not one locked to a Vodafone SIM, however Xiaomi phones are locked if you are locked out of your Xiaomi account. I have tried getting Xiaomi support to assist however they either can’t or won’t help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I got a reply on Twitter very quickly. Quite helpful however sure enough after 90 days there’s nothing that can be done. My own stupid fault I guess 🙁

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I'm not sure that Vodafone can help from the forum as there isn't any account access here.

Vodafone would only liase with the account holder.

It wouldn't harm to engage with the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Twitter DM or Facebook Messenger to see what they can advise @Malcyb 

Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

Link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

It's a difficult one for sure @Malcyb the phone would be locked to prevent unauthorised access to the account and content and to protect the account holder.

I doubt Vodafone would be able to temporarily reconnect the number. Ideally, your ex employer should have done a change of ownership for the number to personal, this would have enabled you to have the use of the number and access to the account.  

If it's been less than 90 days since disconnection, depending on your relationship with your ex employer, it might be worth making contract, they may be able to request Vodafone to reconnect the number to enable to change of ownership to be completed.  You would then be able to use the access code to access the account.

Thanks for the replies. It doesn’t look too promising, though this is much as I feared. I’ll try Twitter, it can’t hurt.  I should have thought of getting change of ownership on the number, unfortunately it’s been quite a lot more than 90 days now.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @Malcyb 

Good luck.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I got a reply on Twitter very quickly. Quite helpful however sure enough after 90 days there’s nothing that can be done. My own stupid fault I guess 🙁

AnnS

Yes @Malcyb 

Thought that would be the case, at least you tried. This is not your fault, you wouldn't have known.

Well this is getting off topic, but it’s really Xiaomi’s fault. Their system for resetting account security is utterly useless. It might work if you’re in SE Asia but hopeless in the UK.