Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

willi lose all my settings and data when unlocking an iphone XR

Lassus-Trombone
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I want to unlock my iPhone XR, but when if I put another SIM in to do so, will I lose all my settings, information and data currently on my iPhone?

Thank you for any assistance.

6 REPLIES 6

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Lassus-Trombone 

Unlocking won't affect any content, you are only unlocking the phone to use on all networks.  When the unlocking process is completed, just synchronise to itunes to download the new carrier internet settings.

However, it is always a good idea to back up. 

Please see below: 

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from a backup 

Restore all content to iPhone from a backup 

Thanks for that.

At the moment, I just want to unlock it and then get an esim number added.

Can I just do the unlocking without synchronising to iTunes. and then add the other number on the esim?

I have had problems with iTunes, I expect it's me

AnnS

Yes @Lassus-Trombone  the unlocking process is completed when the alternative SIM is placed in the hone and you will see  a message on the screen  to let  you know the unlocking was  successful..

You new provider will be  able  provide the data settings. 

Thank you.  

I feel reassured now and will complete the unlock either later today or tomorrow.

I was petrified I would lose everything and I have some very useful things on my phone. Not critical but useful things and information.

Your help is appreciated.

jeffkinn

If you have critical information on the phone but you haven't backed it up then you are heading for trouble sooner or later. You have to backup your data and there are lots of ways to do that with an iPhone. The first and obvious method is to use iCloud. Photos can be back up to iCloud or Google photos. 

Some time ago I wrote an article on here about smart phone backups. It might still be around somewhere.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

AnnS

@Lassus-Trombone 

As @jeffkinn  mentions it is so important to back up.  A few weeks ago I had a problem with my laptop where the Motherboard failed and it was stuck in bootloop, there was nothing that could be done it was impossible to get into any files and I had no choice but to go online from my phone and purchase a new laptop.  Fortunately, I made a good choice with a Dell Experion.

Thank goodness I had backed everything up, my file contents were backed  up on memory stick, my photos backed up to Google and memory stick, as soon as I logged into my Google account everything just came back.  There is nothing worse than losing photos, the memory can never be replaced.

Try persevering with itunes and back up, it's worth the effort and something you won't regret.