Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

I can't receive account verification text messages from my bank

DiggerM
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have recently 'inherited' an iphone 8 from my family and have successfully transferred everything across from my old iphone 6.  The only problem is that I am unable to receive confirmatory texts from my bank.  I have spoken at length to both Vodafone (who were very helpful but despite making adjustments and rebooting could not find any problem) and the bank who said it was not their fault.

I  have iOS 14.3 installed and can receive test messages from everyone one else (including short codes from Vodafone)

Can anyone help?  Many thanks

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

If you put your sim back in the iPhone 6 do you then get these texts @DiggerM 

Was the iPhone 8 on another network and has it been reset.

Perhaps let the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries take a look too.

Edit This is a similar thread which does seem to lean towards a banking issue as your getting other texts OK.

Not-receiving-Santander-one-time-passcode-OTP-messages. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks - i will restore my old phone and get back to you.  The iphone 8 was on another network but was 'factory resetted'

BandOfBrothers

Ok @DiggerM 

Please let us know how you get on.

Current Phone  >

Hi @BandOfBrothers 

I have restored my iphone6 and that one is now suffering from the same problem.  I had to set up the banking app again and it would not receive the verification text message either.

BandOfBrothers

In regards to the banking app perhaps delete it from the iPhone and from your iTunes library and if you can from any relevant iTunes back up so it's a completely fresh copy.

You could try restoring the iPhone via iTunes and then set the iPhone up as a new device and not use any stored back ups just incase that's causing issues @DiggerM 

Maybe worth a shot.

Current Phone  >

Thank you again @BandOfBrothers

To be fair the RBS were helpful and understood the problem immediately, then consulted their technical department but it is an issue they haven't come across before.  As far as they are concerned the bank recognises my mobile number and they send messages to that number.  

When I restored the banking app onto the phone I had to sign up as if the app was newly installed. I have subsequently deleted and downloaded the app again but I will try as you suggest

BandOfBrothers

Fingers crossed  🤞 @DiggerM 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @DiggerM 

The most likely reason for this is due to the phone having previously been on an alternative network and now unlocked.  The way to get the solved is to log on to your online banking and add the device as a secure trusted device, at the moment the bank is not recognising your replacement phone.

If you have continued issues, it would be worth contacting Santander Customer Service for further help and advise, it does seem to be Santander where there can be issues.  Also follow the advise here: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Failing-to-receive-OTP-codes-from-Santander/td-p/2671710

Thank you @AnnS.  This bank RBS wont allow me to log on (on a PC) without a verification code and my app on my ipad does not have such a facility.  I will call them again and see if I can get anywhere.