Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

Don’t trust live chat. 

They are the ones that told me I could add eSim Tarim another vendor to a Vodafone locked iPhone. 

Something i I have since found out via an Apple forum wont actually work!

I have contacted Vodafone by phone and they say they do not support esim for iPhones yet, even for new contracts. Someone earlier said you could change your current contract to PAYG then change your number over, this isn’t true according to the call centre. The people on the live-blogged chat don’t always understand supposedly 

Been following this thread closely as I want to use two numbers on my XS.

I spoke with online chat this morning and they were adament that vodafone did support esim on the XS and told me to visit a shop.  I wasnt convinced after reading this so I phoned vodafone and they also confirmed that I could do it in a shop.

Now I am confused and not sure if I am wasting my time going into a shop or not

@j_gry2003 wrote:

Been following this thread closely as I want to use two numbers on my XS.

I spoke with online chat this morning and they were adament that vodafone did support esim on the XS and told me to visit a shop.  I wasnt convinced after reading this so I phoned vodafone and they also confirmed that I could do it in a shop.

Now I am confused and not sure if I am wasting my time going into a shop or not

You are are wasting your time going into a shop. Vodafone do not support esim at the moment. 

@huanjiayang wrote:

No no no, if you have iphone XS, XS Max or XR, and have updated system to 12.1, you DO have EID on your phone.

When I went into vodafone store they also tried to use this as excuse and I just showed them the EID on my phone, and they were like "eh.......".

This is not an excuse for Vodafone to not support esim in iphone. They just messed up......

No one said you don’t have an EID. You had that in 12.0. What we are saying is the EID is not even used in the process to register it. Certainly in EEs case. 

Vodafone have not messed up at all. They were never confirmed as a launch partner for esim. 

Well, iOS 12.1 has been released, EE already supports eSim on the XR / XS, still waiting for Vodafone. 

@oscarolim wrote:

Well, iOS 12.1 has been released, EE already supports eSim on the XR / XS, still waiting for Vodafone. 

The thing to remember is it was made clear on day 1 that ee would support esim but no official statements have been made yet that Voda will support it..  so if the do there could be some wait

ee has had esim on the watch for over a year Voda has just got it and from the forums you can see they are struggling with that

Try it, then let us know how long it takes to fix :Winking_smiley:

Maybe it’s a blessing that Voda haven’t jumped on the esim train yet. With all the issues being reported  in the Macrumors forum it looks like Apple still has a lot to iron out in the way it handles primary and secondary number along with sms and iMessage. 

catean
10: Established
10: Established

If someone want’s to test the eSIM in data only, GigSky has updated their app for eSIM. Just download the app, register using ‘geor149’ code for 8£ free credit and pick a data plan. Their data plans ca be used worlwide, so it’s very conveniant when roaming to keep the physicsal sim for voice and use GigSky for data roaming.