main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

iOS

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

2: Seeker

Etisalad in the UAe launched some time ago. Stefano

View more options
3: Seeker

I contacted Vodafone UK before I bought an iPhone XS to check they really would support an eSim as their (and Apple’s) website stated.  After their confirmation (and my outlay of £1000) they then wasted hours of my time trying to activate the eSim in my (new) iPhone XS, before confirming that they could only activate the eSim in an Apple Watch.  After much complaint they eventually apologised but weeks later their online support staff were still believing they could activate an eSim in an iPhone XS.  Since then, both Vodafone and Apple have removed Vodafone from their list of eSim supporting carriers.  It seems from the web that Vodafone support the iPhone XS eSim in New Zealand and Qatar.  Shame on Vodafone UK.  I have 4 Vodafone numbers for my family and will be moving them all to EE.  

View more options
4: Newbie

I can’t say for what you were told on phone and with activations but this was never on Apples website for iPhone esim on Vodafone in the UK.  It was only ever EE. Voda was listed for Germany and Spain on the website. Spain then changed to coming soon which has now changed back to available. 

 

At the keynote note it was not denoted what country the carrier referred to. Scroll to 1hr 19 on the keynote, it only said we are working with these carriers to bring the service 

https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-events/september-2018/

2: Seeker

Vodafone UK are a leading brand. They (in my opinion) should state a position on eSim. Not “some time in the future” but we are doing ——————- and we expect to offer this feature by ———————.  For me with 2 active Vodafone numbers the eSim feature was the clincher to upgrade from X to XS. My decision was not on the basis that Vodafone UK had made a commitment but on the basis that as a leading brand implementation of this key feature was a given.

As far as I am aware Vodafone UK is pointing out that they never promised anything on this subject when we the public users should be told when the eSim feature of the XS will be available. Stop fire-fighting Vodafone UK and start doing what you would have us believe is your role - leading.

View more options
3: Seeker

Due to your poor English and grammar it is difficult to understand exactly what you are saying.  However, Vodafone’s website clearly said they would be supporting an eSim.  It still says this, but they have now specifically stated it relates to the eSim in an Apple Watch.  Vodafones’s online support also confirmed to me that they could support an eSim in an iPhone XS.  They checked their records and confirmed they had said this to me when I subsequently made a complaint.  They even tried to activate the eSim in my iPhone XS.  Apple’s website relating to the iPhone XS and dual Sim capability stated that eSim support would be provided by EE and Vodafone.  This implied it would be available globally and I would deem it misleading if it referred to specific countries, as you suggest. I checked both websites and Vodafone’s online support before spending £1000 on a new phone.  

View more options
4: Newbie

@RobCo wrote:

Vodafone UK are a leading brand. They (in my opinion) should state a position on eSim. Not “some time in the future” but we are doing ——————- and we expect to offer this feature by ———————.  For me with 2 active Vodafone numbers the eSim feature was the clincher to upgrade from X to XS. My decision was not on the basis that Vodafone UK had made a commitment but on the basis that as a leading brand implementation of this key feature was a given.

As far as I am aware Vodafone UK is pointing out that they never promised anything on this subject when we the public users should be told when the eSim feature of the XS will be available. Stop fire-fighting Vodafone UK and start doing what you would have us believe is your role - leading.


Ah love it, basing it all on expectations.  Features like this are as it says - features - not a must.  Access to the network is still available on a physical SIM just as always.  There is nothing in our Vodafone contracts that state that we should be able to access the network via eSim.  Other networks that also claim to be leading networks also have not put any dates on when esim will arrive.  The networks are probably working out a) Technology changes to deliver it b) Financial viability at this moment - number of devices connected to the network able to take advantage of esim.

 

I bet B is not financially viable at this moment so no need to rush.

View more options
4: Newbie

@rgambler wrote:

Due to your poor English and grammar it is difficult to understand exactly what you are saying.  However, Vodafone’s website clearly said they would be supporting an eSim.  It still says this, but they have now specifically stated it relates to the eSim in an Apple Watch.  Vodafones’s online support also confirmed to me that they could support an eSim in an iPhone XS.  They checked their records and confirmed they had said this to me when I subsequently made a complaint.  They even tried to activate the eSim in my iPhone XS.  Apple’s website relating to the iPhone XS and dual Sim capability stated that eSim support would be provided by EE and Vodafone.  This implied it would be available globally and I would deem it misleading if it referred to specific countries, as you suggest. I checked both websites and Vodafone’s online support before spending £1000 on a new phone.  


Beg to differ, Apple's website never once said Vodafone UK, it only ever said EE for the UK. Like I say I can;t say much for the support staff getting things wrong but neither Vodafone website or Apple's once mentioned iphone Xs eSIM support.

View more options
17: Community Champion
There are always going to be features that some networks implement and others don't. Visual voicemail is another example of a feature that's been available since the first iPhone but Vodafone has never implemented it. It's a question of profit - if a business case isn't made it won't be done. There are usually software solutions to there problems and you can have two numbers on one phone if you want to.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
2: Seeker

I concur with baz1536. Neither the keynote, nor Vodafone's website nor Apple's website ever mentioned support for the eSIM in the iPhone XS/ XS MAX/ XR. They only mentioned support for the eSIM in the Apple Watch and this was one of the reasons I posted on this forum and started this thread, to find out if and when Vodafone would start supporting eSIM on the iPhones. 

 

That being said, I would have really liked Vodafone to at least give us some information on eSIM rollout. For example, have they started testing it on the network? If so, how far along the process has it reached? Information like this would be really helpful in easing minds about eSIM rollout.  

View more options
17: Community Champion
Vodafone never ever comments on anything until it's launched or about the be launched. You simply won't get any information no matter how many times you ask for it.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
2: Seeker

I do realise that, however if a lot of their customers feel the way I do about being kept informed, perhaps they may change their policies in the future. A long shot I know, but one will never know unless one tries!  

View more options
17: Community Champion

@jayguevara wrote:

I do realise that, however if a lot of their customers feel the way I do about being kept informed, perhaps they may change their policies in the future. A long shot I know, but one will never know unless one tries!  


I've been helping fellow customers on this forum for several years now and the policy has never wavered either for product launches or repairs to long term outages. Even when exasperated customers have written to MPs or involved local newspapers or TV new they've stuck rigidly to their policy of silence. Their reasoning is simple - if they give a date and then fail to meet that date for whatever reason more people will be upset than if they'd said nothing. It's a policy I've argued against many times to no avail of course. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
2: Seeker

@jeffkinn wrote:

@jayguevara wrote:

I do realise that, however if a lot of their customers feel the way I do about being kept informed, perhaps they may change their policies in the future. A long shot I know, but one will never know unless one tries!  


I've been helping fellow customers on this forum for several years now and the policy has never wavered either for product launches or repairs to long term outages. Even when exasperated customers have written to MPs or involved local newspapers or TV new they've stuck rigidly to their policy of silence. Their reasoning is simple - if they give a date and then fail to meet that date for whatever reason more people will be upset than if they'd said nothing. It's a policy I've argued against many times to no avail of course. 


Thanks for the insight jeffkin, I had no idea that customers had even gotten their MPs involved! 

View more options
17: Community Champion
It’s happened a couple of times when masts have been out of action for months.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
13: Advanced Member

Like anything invoilving Apple, Vodafone have probaly signed NDAs which even ban them from saying they are even working on it with Apple.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not launched till the next iPhone release late 2019.

 

View more options
2: Seeker

I wouldn't be suprised if EE had signed an exclusivity deal with Apple which means Vodafone cannot do anything for a certain period of time.  Vodafone wouldnt be this far behind with implementing new technology I am sure.

View more options
2: Seeker


@j_gry2003 wrote:

I wouldn't be suprised if EE had signed an exclusivity deal with Apple which means Vodafone cannot do anything for a certain period of time.  Vodafone wouldnt be this far behind with implementing new technology I am sure.


Would you know if this was the case with the Apple watch series 3? I remember EE was the only network supporting eSIM when this version was released last year. 
View more options
1: Seeker

eSim is not Apple's property it is a specification created, regulated and controlled by the GSMA, so EE would not be able to sign an Exclusivity deal for eSim that did anything but restrict support of eSim on Apple devices to EE.

 

Google, Microsoft,Samsung and LG all currently produce eSim capable devices, so when eSim is available to VodaPhone they will let people know.

 

Since more than half the Mobile devices in the UK are NOT Apple devices, i cant believe any Operator would hamstring themselves just to please Apple.

View more options
17: Community Champion

Of course they would, just as they did with earlier Apple devices and functionality. The iPhone is the flagship of all smart phones and for a network to steal a march on their rivals would be a big deal for them. The potential exclusivity is not on the generic technology but on it's implementation by Apple in a specific device. Perfectly feasible and possible. Apple like exclusive deals - in the US the iPhone was exclusive to AT&T for several years.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
1: Seeker

I don’t believe comparing an exclusivity deal for a phone with a specific carrier to be fair when we’re talking about a feature.

Vodafone already have the technology as they’re using it with Apple Watch Cellular so not implementing  the same to iPhone sounds more like a marketing choice. Bear in mind we’re talking about the same network that withheld Wifi Calling for specific plans...so I won’t be surprised if they will wait for the next iPhone launch to use eSIM for iPhone as a gimmick to attract new customers and to make it available only to customers that bought an iPhone from them...

 

we’ve gotten to a point where carriers are trying to squeeze every penny out of every little feature and it’s quite unfortunate. The desperation and the pettiness is just sad.

I'm with EE and would absolutely love to move to Vodafone but the lack of eSIM for iPhone is keeping me from doing so as I do currently use my work and personal SIMs in my iPhone and I’m not moving back to carrying two phones with me

View more options