Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Visual Voicemail not working after roaming abroad

AndyKirby
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

iPhone 13 Pro Max on iOS 15.5

Have noticed that with this account every time when I returned from trips to Europe, Visual voicemail stops working when I get back to the UK. To be clear, I am currently in the UK.

This happened initially when I opened my Vodafone account, after returning from Berlin in the New year and after Easter and just now after returning from Amsterdam. 

While away, the phone was roaming on Vodafone.de and Vodafone.nl which are the defaults.

Symptoms are:

Visual voicemail still appears on the phone UI but incoming messages don't appear.

Callers can leave messages, but if they press # to end their recording rather than hang up the system says "I was unable to record your message". I sometimes but not always get a text notifying me of the missed call or asking me to call 121 as there is a message waiting.  Messages never show up in Visual voicemail.

I have tried disabling and re-enabling VV by calling 12151/12152.

I was also instructed to "Reset Network Settings" on my phone, which I did and that doesn't work either.

I tried to text STATE to 100121 but it never replies anything and makes no difference.

Previously at this point I usually get transferred to a "Tech" - maybe something eventually gets reset and it starts to work, until the next trip away.

This time, it started as usual with a bunch of useless and annoying platitudes from Tech support like "Please do not worry because by working together, we can solve this" and "Whatever your previous experiences have been, I can change your perception of Vodafone through my hard work".  But after we got through that nonsense, the crux of the matter seems to be that using your phone abroad mucks up a bunch of Vodafone's settings that can't be easily reset through the UI.  

So - the short term fix seems to be remove SIM, reset *everything*, and then reinstall from scratch. That's relly annoying to have to do on return from a trip every time. 

What I am looking for is a long term fix to stop it happening every time I come home from abroad

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

Effie

Hey @AndyKirby I hope you're well 😊 Thank you for bringing this to our attention, it's certainly a frustrating issue to have. If you are continuously having this same problem and you have tried all of the troubleshooting on the Visual Voicemail page then you will need to speak to the dedicated chat team to get this resolved. Please drop them a message here