Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone not unlocking iPhone

Julianrj
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have applied several times (as requested) by Vodafone to have an iPhone 6S unlocked but keep getting automated message back, " However our records show we have already unlocked it".

I get a message on iTunes that, "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported"

I have chatted several times to Vodafone, connected to iTunes, with the same message as above blah blah, (not unlocked)

done a Restore (not unlocked) 

and had to go to IOS 11.1 (which I did not want to do yet), (not unlocked), 

talked to their Vodafone team again

and applied to their Resolutions team but all I get are the same automated messages.

BT insist the phone is not unlocked - indeed their SIM works in my other phone no problem.

Any help?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Julianrj

Things can get a little confusing when unlocking an iPhone. 

After a person fills out the unlocking form and gets the templated response the iPhone isn’t unlocked at this stage. 

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlock code but instead is unlocked via Apple and their Database.
 Vodafone would email you to confirm it's been requested after accepting your unlock request which you’ve received. 
 Apple then can take occasionally approximately up to 30 days sometimes to complete an unlock request made by a Network.
 Periodically insert an active Non-Vodafone Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes.
 From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for your helpful reply - although not really sorting it out! I'll try what you suggest.

In the meantime I will have to pay 2 companies - one while waiting for the second to unlocking.

BandOfBrothers

You’re welcome @Julianrj

Please be wary of online unlocking solutions offering unlocks on iPhones especially the newer models as unlocking isn’t straight forward with the A-Chips in them. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

You’re welcome @Julianrj

Please be wary of online unlocking solutions offering unlocks on iPhones especially the newer models as unlocking isn’t straight forward with the A-Chips in them. 

What is it about the A-XX chips that makes them less straight forward of an unlock?

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Alltaken We wouldn't face any issues when unlocking a phone that has this SIM, however this might be different for other third parties.

@Tash wrote:

@Alltaken We wouldn't face any issues when unlocking a phone that has this SIM, however this might be different for other third parties.

Thanks Natasha, I was 'calling out' the nonsense of that statement. The Apple devices are not more difficult to unlock as a result of the A series CPU or any other chip in the handset for that matter :Cry_Laughing:

Just to clarify for anyone reading this thread:

The iPhone range of handsets are a 'server side' unlock with Apple and request is made. Vodafone are of course an option for unlocking the device, however, you are free to use any third party unlocking service (Check the reputation). Access to Apple's unlock service is not exclusive and is no different to any iPhone of the past.

Feel free to use a third party service if you like.