Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 14 upgrade next week - moving the eSIM to a new handset

jomigoco
4: Newbie

So that time of year has come round again when all those iPhone users with a Vodafone eSIM and who are looking to upgrade to a new phone start to plan their eSIM move to the new handset.

Last year was less than smooth for me in that it took 48 hours for the eSIM to go active on the new handset so I was offline for that time.

I notice during the Apple event today it was mentioned that iOS now supports a seamless move of an eSIM from one handset to another (the US models now only have eSIM and no physical SIM tray):

transfer existing eSIM to another phone.png

What are the chances that this will work here in the UK?

Anyone from Vodafone can comment please?

cheers

Mike

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @jomigoco 

I do remember past posts in connection to eSim issues which were threads from people experiencing issues moving from a physical sim to an eSim.

However yes I've seen people have issues moving from one phone to another when using an eSim.

Vodafone will want the process to be as seamless as possible.

I hope yours is a better journey this time around.

I wish you all the best.  😎 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks.

Having no service for 48 hours during last years eSIM move was really not on, so I want to avoid it this time around.

Looks like my best bet is to switch my eSIM to a physical SIM in a store a few days before and then when the new handset is up and running with the SIM card I will just switch the physical SIM back to an eSIM. All extra palaver for me but at least I am in control of the move not some automated backlogged system. Sigh.

BandOfBrothers

I'd concur @jomigoco 

It appears from.past posts that's the avenue some have followed.

From what I hear new iPhones will no longer hold a physical sim which I'm not yet convinced is the best move forward especially as some networks don't support/ allow eSim options on Payg.

I wish you all the best. Take care.  😎 

Current Phone  >

The physical SIM tray has been removed on the US models of the iPhone but will still be available on the iPhone 14 UK/European models (thank god). I usually leave the physical SIM tray empty so that I can use a cheap local SIM when I travel.

BandOfBrothers

That's good news @jomigoco 

I prefer to use two physical sim cards in my phone and leave the eSim option free.

Current Phone  >

Yes, dual SIM trays are the best option, but not for iPhone users unfortunately. Apple is trying to encourage more providers to embrace eSIM technology in the US by giving them no choice but to support the iPhone 14. Rumour has it this is part of Apple's long term plan to become a telephony service provider themselves. Apple Pay is already bigger than Mastercard so why not become a provider too?! I can't see the physical SIM disappearing though, too many phone users love the flexibility. Indeed not many people in the US are happy about the iPhone SIM tray disappearing, so it might still make a comeback...

garetc
12: Established
12: Established

Only EE support the eSIM transfer at the moment! 

Hopefully my eSIM transfer will go smoothly next week, last few times I have had some issues! 

Thanks for that, I thought it was a long shot but maybe next year Voda will too.

I switched my eSIM to a physical SIM today so I can avoid last years issues... I have a nice calm feeling about Friday now LOL

PleaseBringBeer
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I recently upgraded my Apple Watch and had to do an eSim swap. I was able to do this through my account by providing new device information. It took probably 10 minutes to process!

I’m also an iPhone eSim user and have ordered the 14 Pro. I can see how it might end up taking a while when everyone receives their phones on Friday but fingers crossed it’s not 48 hours!