Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

unable to activate iMessage after porting number

akasazb
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Earlier this week I ported my number from a work account (V) to a personal account.  I received a temp SIM with a temp number to do this.  The port completed and I now send and receive calls on my own number.  However when I switch iMessage on to my iPhone, I send texts on the temp number, and do not receive texts sent to my own number.

I have searched support and done the following without success

1. Turned imessage and facetime off and on
  2. Executed a network reset
  3. Signed out of all apple devices and signed in
  4. Reset the sim
  5. Changed my apple password
  6. Set date and time to auto
  7. I am unable to delete the old number as it requires a verification code I cannot receive!

When I turn imessage on it activates the old temp number – what can I do to stop this?
 I'm not a novice to technology but cant work out if this is a Vodafone issue or an Apple iPhone 11 issue

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Are you abke to de register from imessage using the Apple Online form @akasazb and then re register and make sure your relevant mobile number is showing in the phones contact app / about phone section.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/ 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi - thanks for the tip @bandofbrothers - I have tried the deregistration process - it sends a confirmation code ( to the temp number) and I don't receive the confirmation code (I think this is because I only receive iMessages to the temp number and not SMS.)  - I am stuck .... 

AnnS

Hi @akasazb 

This is a difficult one for sure, I don't know if you have tried this from Apple here: Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime 

Go to settings > messages > receive at > addresses.  Return to settings, edit and save number > messages > receive at.  Once finished verifying should work on your ported number.

Fingers crossed for you.

Hi @bandofbrothers - alas, I have been through that and I have been unable to shake off the temp number.  I also noted 

"If the phone number that you want to remove belongs to an iPhone that you can't access, change your Apple ID password. This removes all phone numbers from your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. Calls or messages for the removed numbers won't appear on those devices anymore"

That doesnt work either!   I'm going to ping Apple support .... I think this is more likely to be an ios problem, or apple could tell me that its Sim related. ...

AnnS

Hi @akasazb 

Following on from my previous reply, as you mention SIM problem, and would probably be using the same SIM for the temporary number, I would like to suggest asking Vodafone for a replacement SIM and see if a new SIM solves this problem.

edited to add:  Follow this link @akasazb SIM swap 

@AnnS - that sounds a very good idea - Thank you!!

Fixed !

Simple ... I didnt follow the instructions after the number was ported ... Just because I was receiving calls and making calls didn't change the number on the iPhone itself ....   sorry for testing you on a problem that I should have fixed myself, and thank you for your time.

Update your phone number:

1. Go to Settings > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > Contactable At
  2. Choose Edit
  3. Enter your chosen number, using +44 instead of the first 0
  4. Tap Save

BandOfBrothers

Hi @akasazb 

You're very welcome.

I think I touched upon making sure your number was showing right when I said in my first reply...

"and make sure your relevant mobile number is showing in the phones contact app / about phone section."

Well I hope that helped to guide you anyway.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Sorry to join in this conversation, but I am having exactly the same problem.  I followed the steps above but as soon as I switch Messages on again, the temporary number reappears alongside my transferred number.  I have checked the 'Contatable at' and only the transferred number is showing.

Can you help please?