Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Error 28 preventing SMS to five digit numbers

Raz7
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

On a One + 5 (android) I am not able to send text messages to a five digit number.

The message is "Can't send message with {name}, error 28"

It works to a regular mobile number, but not this format.

Android is up to date 2020 .02

app management settings to Normal clear for clearing cache

I have done a Wifi, mobile, network reset.

Any ideas how to resolve?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Raz7 

If this is to a reverse charge short code number, it looks like there is a bar on the account, the first place to check will be your online account or My Vodafone application under bars.

If the short code is not chargeable, you should have received a message on the phone asking you if you want to proceed.

If you continue to have problems and there is no active bar, Live Chat will help follow this link for direct help and support from the Social Media Team Contact Us 

Please remember there are few cusomer service advisors available at this point in time and it will always take longer than expected for support.

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS

Hi @Raz7 

If this is to a reverse charge short code number, it looks like there is a bar on the account, the first place to check will be your online account or My Vodafone application under bars.

If the short code is not chargeable, you should have received a message on the phone asking you if you want to proceed.

If you continue to have problems and there is no active bar, Live Chat will help follow this link for direct help and support from the Social Media Team Contact Us 

Please remember there are few cusomer service advisors available at this point in time and it will always take longer than expected for support.

Hi AnnS,

Thank you for your reply. Yes there was a message prompt to accept potential charges with a button to remember selection which I did. Still getting the same Error 28 message, so you are saying I would get support via the Contact Us you suggested, correct?

Solved by Chat service online. Thanks

hrym

Glad to hear you're sorted.   I suspect what's happened is that the operator has lifted the Premium Rate SMS bar.   I've had a similar issue which was solved by doing that.   The system can't distinguish between short codes that are chargeable and those that aren't.   The bar isn't granular - you can't have outgoing texts on and incoming off, for instance.

Basically, keep and eye on your bill to make sure nothing dodgy manages to creep in.