cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Pixel 3 bought elsewhere - Wifi and 4G calling?

haroon1984
4: Newbie

Hi,

My contract with EE is coming to an end and I'd like to join Vodafone. However the phone I want - Pixel 3 XL 128GB - is not sold by Vodafone. (Vodafone, bizarrely, only offers the 64GB version.)

So I have no choice but to purchase this device from elsewhere with a Vodafone contract taken out separately.

I'm happy to do that, but will I still be able to access Wifi calling and 4G calling on Vodafone?

16 REPLIES 16

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@haroon1984 Our Product team stated the following: 

Devices purchased from a Vodafone store and open market devices will also be Vodafone Wi-Fi compatible (based on this being a function that’s possible on the phone/shows on our list of available devices). 

Thanks @Alex, very clear.

Hi Haroon, I am about to buy pixel 3 that's bought from ee (but currently unlocked), but the seller can't confirm that whether the phone will support wifi&4g calling with vodafone sim as he doesn't have vodafone sim, can you use wifi&4g calling features on your pixel 3 with vodafone sim at the moment? thanks

hrym
17: Community Champion

You'll find information on wifi calling, including a list of compatible devices here.

As far as I'm aware, 4G calling will only work on devices with Vodafone's own firmware (ie bought from them).

I don't know and it seems to me that nobody has a clear answer for the question, but haroon can answer the question as he has pixel 3 that's bought from ee and later unlocked,

hrym

As haroon's last post was in 2018, I doubt he's monitoring the forum any more, but we can mention him (@haroon1984), just in case he has notifications turned on.

The Pixel 3 is on the list I linked to, so should work SIM-free, but I don't know whether it would if it has another network's firmware on it.   I have two SIM-free devices, a Sony L3, which is listed and worked out of the box and a Moto G8, which isn't and doesn't.   Neither has 4G calling and both only have manufacturer firmware.

Your best bet is either to wait until the forum team pick up this thread (bear in mind it's old, so they may not) and may be able to answer you, or you could contact the Social Media Team on Facebook or Twitter.

If it helps I have a Google supplied Pixel 4 and both work fine

Pixel phones use a generic stock software so will be the same version on all networks or SIM free