Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Live in UK but mast in Ireland

pimel
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have the following problem and really appreciate for someone to help me.

I live in the UK (Northern Ireland) in the hills and the only mast which reaches our house is in Southern Ireland.

I only use my mobile phone to create a hotspot for my computer’s internet.

In my contract with Vodafone, I have unlimited usage in the UK, however I can use only 25 Gigs abroad.

They tell me that I am roaming and therefore can only have 25 Gigs for free, however as I am not abroad and can not help it that the mast is on the other side of the border, I feel it is unfair to be charged extra if I use more than 25 Gigs. (discrimination??)

I perceive roaming as being abroad, and not, like me sitting at home in the UK.

I am sure that there are a lot more people in N.I. who have the same problem, and similar numbers on the border of Southern Ireland, who only receive a UK mast.

Could someone please help me? Very much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @pimel 

To solve this go in your settings > connections > mobile networks > network operators  > complete a network scan, select Vodafone UK.  Make sure select automatically is not selected in your connection settings.  If select automatically is turned on the phone will select the best network for your connection, in your case the phone is connecting to an roaming network.

Hi Ann,

Thanks. I followed your advice and could only find masts in Ireland and none in the UK.,so, I'm still stuck.

How about if  I get a simcard in Ireland and use an address of a friend on the other side of the border, so that I could use the Irish mast from my home?

AnnS

Hi @pimel 

I have unmarked the solution, it's not really the solution you need.

If your phone can only locate a last in the Republic, it sounds more of a network issue with Vodafone not providing a service at the location.  This leaves a problem for you only being able to use 25GB during a billing period. Even if you had a Vodafone Ireland SIM they may have restrictions of their own.

You can go through the step here: Network Issues  but if Vodafone don't provide a signal at your home address, there would be little that can be done.