Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile data

steevieh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just purchased a Sony 10 IV, i have a problem with receiving text messages.

If mobile data is switched on there is not a problem.

If mobile data is off then i am not receiving some text text.

My understanding is that with the mobile data off text should not be affected, i am at a loss.

Please be aware that i am an old codger so simple replies would be appreciated

7 REPLIES 7

AnnS
17: Community Champion

The best thing is to direct you to this link from device support @steevieh 

Sony Xperia 10 IV 

Try this @steevieh  Messages, settings (three dots at the top right), chat settings, toggle off chat.  You will then find you are able to send as text.

hrym

It sounds as though your messaging app is in Chat mode, which uses data rather than SMS.   See if you can turn that off and you shouldn't have a problem.   I'm not quite sure why you'd be turning mobile data off, tbh, as it rather negates the point of having a smart phone!

It is very odd it is very odd i can send a SMS text and they are received by the recipient but cannot see a reply although it has been sent, if i turn the mobile data back on the reply comes through.

My further thoughts are that the text being sent maybe over 160 characters  but it is going to a phone with mobile data switched on and is received but the reply coming back from that phone is not being received as my mobile data is switched off, just a theory

AnnS

Would this be every SMS message @steevieh ?

It sounds like the reply is being sent over the internet as chat rather than as SMS, this may be due to you having previous sent a message as chat before turning off the feature. There is further information on chat here: Messaging Features  if you have disabled chat try rebooting the phone is seeing if you still have the problem.  

If you continue to have problems, don't hesitate visiting a Vodafone Store for help and advise.

hrym

To Clarify, as @AnnS and I both think the same.  SMS are sent over the mobile network, but messages formatted as Chat use data.   You need to look at your messaging app settings to find the one that will turn Chat off.   Alternatively, turn mobile data on and leave it on - there's no reason to do otherwise as all airtime contracts include a generous allowance these days.

Thanks for all your replies, yes i agree, mobile data has now been left on and the issue has been resolved.

This all started when i downloaded a speed camera app while at home, both mobile data and my home internet were active but the app was downloaded using the mobile data internet connection using up all the contracted data allowance.

I will remember that in the future.

Many thanks again

hrym

Check your Play Store settings (Network Preferences) for how apps can download and update.   As long as wifi is active, that should be the default anyway, but if the connection is poor or interupted, the download will switch to mobile data if that's allowed.