Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

P30 not reading SIM card

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

I received my new Huawei P30 on an upgrade deal yesterday, however although it's all set up it is not reading the SIM card. It still works fine in the old phone but when I transfer it to the new one I just get the SIM card symbol with an ! inside it and "emergency calls only" in the notch.

In the settings menu the mobile network section is greyed out.

Clearly the SIM works, never had a problem with it in the old phone, a Huawei P20, so why not in the new one?

I've tried a forced restart which is the only solution I can find online. Anyone else got any ideas? Ta

tried restarting

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok the issue has now been solved, and as usual it was user error! I had a mad panic when the new SIM didn't work. However when I looked closely at the SIM tray I noticed there were two slots, one marked SIM 1 and the other marked MN. My SIM was in the MN one (the same physical place as it was in the old phone) but when I moved it to SIM 1 it worked!

Should have gone to Specsavers etc....

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @SimonWilding 

It does seem you've tried all the troubleshooting tips you can do as well as trying your sim card in another phone and that works.

Are you able to try a different Vodafone sim card in the phone ?

I assume you don't have the sim pin security feature activated.

I would suggest to speak with customer services or the Vodafone Social Media Teams and they will be able to check the status of the phone and if necessary swap it out.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks, it's not anew SIM but the one I've always had in my P20 which I've now upgraded to the P30.

Don't have any SIM security, if I did presumanly it would ask me for a password.

The only thing I did differenty this time is that I booted up the new phone and logged into the wifi and logged into all my google etc accounts witout the SIM card in the phone as I needed to keep the old phone in use. I only swapped the SIM into the new phone later that evening. That shouldn't make any difference surely?

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

@SimonWilding wrote:

Thanks, it's not anew SIM but the one I've always had in my P20 which I've now upgraded to the P30.

Don't have any SIM security, if I did presumanly it would ask me for a password.

The only thing I did differenty this time is that I booted up the new phone and logged into the wifi and logged into all my google etc accounts witout the SIM card in the phone as I needed to keep the old phone in use. I only swapped the SIM into the new phone later that evening. That shouldn't make any difference surely?

No it shouldn't have made a difference.

My opinion is that if your sim card is working fine in another phone then the sim card is operating as it should.

To me it counts to the phone either software wise or hardware wise or Vodafone haven't properly activated it before providing it to you.

As I mentioned customer services can check that @SimonWilding 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

Back in the day, the solution to this problem was often to clean the SIM contacts in the phone.   Now that SIMs slide into a small slot, that's not really possible.   However, cleaning the SIM itself (soft cloth initially) might do it.   You could also try sliding it in and out a few times.

SimonWilding

Thanks all, I have ordered a new SIM via live chat which should arrive in a day or two, hopefully that'll solve the problem. If not, I reckon it's a hardwear problem and the phone will have to go back

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

Ok the issue has now been solved, and as usual it was user error! I had a mad panic when the new SIM didn't work. However when I looked closely at the SIM tray I noticed there were two slots, one marked SIM 1 and the other marked MN. My SIM was in the MN one (the same physical place as it was in the old phone) but when I moved it to SIM 1 it worked!

Should have gone to Specsavers etc....

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

AnnS

At least it's been solved @SimonWilding 

This was my first thought in my reply and was the reason I directed you to the device guides support page.

SimonWilding

Thanks Ann, I did scan though that page but didn't see that mentioned. Oh well, thanks for your help

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

AnnS

Hi @SimonWilding 

Assuming you have inserted the SIM card correctly.  Further information from device guides here: Device Guides 

If you have had the SIM card for some time, it may work perfectly in a previous device but fails in a new phone and may need replacing.  Under usual circumstances a SIM can be replaced in a Vodafone Store but that is out of the question now but If you are able to contact Vodafone they may be able to arrange to send a replacement SIM.

If you are unable to speak to Vodafone circumstances permitting, contact the Team here on the forum they will be able to arrange for a new SIM to be sent to you.  You can speak to the Team here: Contact Us