cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Receiving calls from random people on S9 because I have called them (when I haven't)

alacey14
1: Seeker

I keep getting people calling my phone saying that I have called them. There is NOTHING in my call history that suggests I call them. I have received 10 calls from different numbers today. They are all just normal people.

Why and how is my phone calling random numbers without it even being recorded on my phone?

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @alacey14

On my s8 I have the facility to stop operation when it's in my pocket. 

Try this even tho the calls are not showing in your phones history. 

Also as a process of elimination can you insert your SIM card in another phone to see if the issue remains. 

If it continues  then speak with customer services on 191 or Live Chat and they can access your account and help you further with this situation by looking at your account and or suggesting a SIM swap which any Vodafone Store can do. Take photo ID. 

If the issue stops then I'd suggest to first clear your system files in the phone by turning the phone Off and then from a set series of button presses will take you into the System File Cache and.ckear the files. 

If no joy then as a last resort back up and Factory Reset. Remove any Sd Card beforehand. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

stonefences
10: Established
10: Established
There is a story in the press today about the Samsung Messenger App sending random messages on some phones - I wonder if it's linked at all? https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_messages_bug_results_in_entire_gallery_of_users_photos_being_shared...

chistery
16: Advanced member

Other users on Vodafone and other networks are reporting the same thing. Someone is spoofing CLI making it look like you called them.  It will probably stop after a while. 

As the problem is the call made to the person that then called you it's hard for Vodafone to understand what the issue can be.

No idea why so many people call back a number they don't recognise though.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This does sound strange @alacey14, however we have seen a few cases of this. We'd advise registering your number on the Telephone Preference Service.

i have the same issue.
several calls and literally just now got a text msg, asking me who i am and why i called them.
needless to say i never did, the phone is right here next to me and i have no idea how to tackle this.
im also TPS registered .

i find this very concerning, considering i will most likely be held responsible for any prank calls,order calls, fraud attempts and a lot of different nonsense that could possibly be done with this method which would lead then directly to me

chistery

Advice such as register with the TPS just shows how Vodafone don't have a grip on what is it that is happening.

hrym

It's unlikely this is a Vodafone issue.   Unless there's a network fault (and the fact that this is apparently happening on other networks suggests there isn't), they wouldn't be involved.  The suggestion of spoofed CLI seems like the most likely explanation if there's isn't a biazrre fault on your handset.

chistery

Vodafone has a responsibility to ensure that CLI information is valid. The call with the likely spoofed number could terminate on Vodafones network so they are responsible for ensuring it's valid when it gets passed on. Only by MNOs looking at the original call and where that came from will this get resolved. If it's coming from another communications provider then vodafone should be clearing the CLI flag and not passing it on as it can't be trusted.

hrym

I'm not sure they do, or that they can.   I periodically receive calls on my BT landline that aren't coming from the number they say they are.   Some are the infamous boiler discount scam, which do at least originate form the UK, btu others are clearly from abroad.

If calls were screened to see if they originated from the exchange indicated by the number, wouldn't scamm callers simply resort to spoofing non-geographic numbers?