Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SIM 2 not allowed

tate09
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Wondering if anyone can help or point me in the right direction.

I have a samsung note 9 phone. I bought it off ebay last year. Its a dual sim phone. Since i bought it, I've been using SIM 1 for my vodafone sim, and for SIM 2, I've been using a SD card. All working great.

Last few days I've been tying to put another sim (lebara sim), into the SIM 2 and the phone keeps on saying that SIM 2 is not allowed. When i reboot the phone i get a "SIM 2 not allowed" notifcation msg. When i click on network operators (for SIM 2), I get "Unable to connect. Try Later". When i click on Select manually I get "Error while searching for networks.

Trying to isolate what the problem could be, here is what i know:

1) Both SIM cards (vodafone and lebara) are working fine. I tried using them in my SIM 1 socket, and both sims work. I am able to make and receive calls using each simcard. (all while SIM 2 socket is emtpy).

2) I tried putting both sim cards into SIM 2 socket, and neither of them work. I get the SIM 2 not allowed msg.

3) When i do put any simcard into SIM 2 socket, I do see a reception signal (at the top of the phone, next to the wifi signal. So this tells me that the SIM 2 socket does recognise the SIM). Also previously I was using the SIM 2 socket for my SD card without no problems. So the SIM 2 socket is working somewhat. 

I've tried playing around with the phone trying all the suggested tips on the internet. Have:

- played around with changing the network mode to 2G and 3G on both SIM sockets whilst have two sims in installed.

- Have wiped cache partition on boot start up menu

- Have reset network settings

As a last resort i also did a complete reset of my phone, which was a real pain to do !, but that did not result in anything, apart from losing some data! relying on google backup.

Not sure what i can do next ? Wondering if my SIM 2 socket is locked in anyway or do i need to do something with a network unlock code as my phone has two IMEI numbers.  I don't even know if this is a hardware or software issue. I have applied all the latest software updates

Any idea on what i should do ?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Is the phone unlocked to all network's @tate09  ?

Although that said Lebara is a MVNO that works off Vodafone Uk so it would normally be accepted  !

Are you able to look in the dual sim card manager to see what it says in there.

It is possible sim card slot 2 is glitching in some way as you say even your Vodafone sim card will not work in it.

You may have to consider continuing to use one sim and a sd card which js a shame because having a Hybrid Dual Sim phone is handy. I know as I owned the Samsung Note 9 before buying the Samsung Note 10+ 5G.

Usually I'd suggest to visit a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre but they are temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic but hopefully from the 15/6/20 most non essential stores will reopen.

They will be able to check if it's within the 24 month manufacturing warranty.

Personally I'd hold off until then.

You appear to have carried out the self help troubleshooting tips you can do yourself.

A Google Search didn't really bring up any definitive answers either.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hello BandofBrothers, 

Thanks for your response.

Attached images.

To be honest I dont know if my phone is unlocked to all networks. I'm going to borrow my brothers phone to check (assuming he's not on voda). However can i ask you that if my phone is unlocked, say for SIM 1, do i assume that it's also unlocked for SIM 2 ?? When i inserted either SIM into SIM2, it does not ask me for a PIN or anything like that, so wondering if i can deduce from that .. that it's not locked

The Dual Sim Manager, everything looks good. I see a SIM 1 that shows is vodafone UK on LTE/3G/2G, and i see SIM 2 on Lebara on 2G only (yes i have tried 3G etc). Also i see two reception bars on my top bar next to the battery indicator).

Yes, I guess I'll have to be patient and pay a visit in time to the samsung store.

Thanks!

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @tate09 

On my Samsung Note 9 Hybrid Dual Sim version both slots were unlocked as I bought it directly from Samsung UK .

As both sims slots have their own imei then both would need to be unlocked.

Indeed we have had past posts where a person has unlocked sim 1 and then realised that sim 2 also needs to be unlocked too.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Hello Guys, 

I'm here to provide an update.

So further to @BandOfBrothers recommendation .. I called samsung to find out if or when I'll be able to take my phone to them. To my surprise they offered to collect my phone. So 2 days later my phone was collected! And they said my phone will be returned to me repaired by 5 days.

Kudos to you Samsung!

Now the bad news, well for me anyway. Samsung sent me an email with an update. Here is their email:

--------------------------------

Hope you are well and keeping safe,

Just a quick email to say that our engineers have now fully inspected your device for you with you having problems with ‘SIM SLOT 2’ not responding.

The results have come back, and unfortunately your device is BLACKLISTED. This means that your device has been reported lost or stolen.

IMEI 1 – (SIM SLOT 1) –– CLEAN

IMEI 2 – (SIM SLOT 2) –– BLACKLISTED.

This means that either the network provider or the sallow has blocked the second IMEI number which is why your SIM card is not been recognised.

Please see photo below showing this,

With all this been said, we are now going to be sending your device back out to yourself unrepaired,

We apologise about any inconvenience caused,

Many Thanks,

Samsung Repairs

-----------------------------------------

Obviously I am ##~##. I did pay a high price for this on ebay, And the seller mentioned that this phone was given to him by an insurance claim. 

So my next tasks are to:

1) Call vodafone to see if the number can be un-blacklisted. At this stage I'm not sure if the blacklising was done by a network provider, and if so, which network provide did it.

2) Call ebay and see if i have any buyer protection.

If anyone reading this are able to point me in the right direction of getting my IMEI number un-blacklisted .. i would appreciate !!

Will post any updates.

Keep safe all. 

hrym

Well, that's a new one!   I have heard of IMEIs being duplicated, so that you have a number that's been applied to another device that's been blacklisted.   Alternatively (and probably more likely), someone has blocked another IMEI but typed the number incorrectly.   It's clearly not possible to have half a phone lost or stolen.

Talk to the Social Media team on Facebook or Twitter and see if they're able to get the block removed - I'm not sure what the position would be if it was set by another network.

If this can't be done, then I think you'd have a case for asking for a replacement device as what you have isn't fit for purpose.  You'd need to pursue that via the original supplier.

Edited to add: just re-read your original post and I see you bought the device off eBay, so that's going to complicate the issue a bit!   You may still be able to open a dispute, but time limits might also apply.   It's odd that SIM 2 is blocked.   If the phone had been lost or stolen, I'd expect it to be SIM 1 - unless both were and the seller forgot to get SIM 2 released.

I can really only wish you good luck.

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

There's a lot of insurance fraud with replacement mobiles. Vodafone won't remove the blacklist and only the original owner can get it removed. You need to go back to Ebay.

BandOfBrothers

I agree with @chistery on the issue of insurance fraud.

You won't get the imei unlocked so if ebay won't/ can't do anything your pretty much stuck @tate09  :Sad_face:

Current Phone  >