Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung S8+ Video Calling

Dennyjo8
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have read so many posts on this issue, dating back to 2016, and I still can't believe Vodafone has STILL not resolved the problem!!!  

I am not able to make video calls on my new Samsung S8+, I have spent hours 'chatting' to both samsung and vodafone to try and get a solution - the latter have apparently never heard about there being an issue (and they were the technical team which doesn't bode well, as clearly no on is looking to resolve it!!!).  

I put my sim into my boyfriend's new S8 (to O2) and it worked perfectly - which obviously backs up the fact that this is to do with vodafone locking their phones and the firmware they use to do that.  

The solution I've been given is that I should send my phone away to samsung to 'investigate' - as I'm out of 30 day cool off this would mean I'm without a phone for 2 weeks which just is not do-able.  So I'm pretty much stuck with it!

It would be helpful if any moderator on the site could answer a few questions - 

a) if Vodafone have known about this issue for years and still not resolved it - why????

b) if there is a solution being worked on - when will it be available to us loyal paying customers who have been with vodafone for years??

c) will we be receiving any kind of compensation for not having this feature when it is clearly something that samsung support and alledgedly vodafone do too?  ( I have been repeatedly told that it's not vodafone's fault as they have activated the right settings on my account for me to be able to use video calling!

I also wondered if anyone else had tried getting their vodafone handset unlocked to see if this solves the problem? I have requested my unlocking code, I don't expect vodafone to refuse me!!!!

99 REPLIES 99

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Dennyjo8 We're in contact with the correct people and they're working to see what can be done. When they provide updates to us, we can relay these back to you. 

For the Video Calling to work, both users would need to be on a 4G connection. It's been confirmed that this isn't a firmware issue but that Video Calling will only work when on 4G. 

The Wi-Fi Calling aspect ensures your account is fully provisioned for Video Calling. 

If the above is the case and it's still not working, we'd be happy to look into this further. Please contact us using the link in my private message if you wished to continue troubleshooting. 

Hi @Alex,

Thanks for the info., but this is not true as the issue here is when we open call log the vedeo calling option is always greyed out and there are only 2 options on contact to either call or text when on other network or unlocked phone there are always 3 options on a contact to call, text or video call.

With only a contact number on phone and video calling option greyed out a phone cannot recognise only with a number that the other person have 4G or not. It is when we call them and it is not compatible then a relevant error message pops up usually.

Here we don't have any option to determine the other side have 4G or not as the option to make video call is not available at all for Vodafone customers.

Hope this explains.

Regards

Vicky R

If you read all of the blog chain you will see that this doesn't make sense, and to be honest enforces with me that you really aren't getting what the issue is. Regardless of whether the call recipient is, my phone doesn't give me the option of video calling! It doesn't know before I have tried to call whether the other person is on 4G or not! 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @vicr76 and @Dennyjo8.

We'll need to take a closer look into your accounts and ensure that Wi-Fi Calling has been provisioned for Video Calling. So we can do this, please follow the details provided in the private messages that you've been sent and we'll be able to access your account securely and complete further troubleshooting. 

I have sent the relevant information asked for. But to be honest you really are confusing the issue. You said earlier in the week that both parties must be on 4G for this to work which is blatantly incorrect. And now you're saying it's too do with WiFi calling!! My faith in Vodafone fixing this issue for the potentially thousands of customers it affects looks more and more unlikely!

I have not heard from you or anyone for weeks, what is the status of this issue? Ironically, after finally getting Wi-Fi calling activated, your latest system update removed it again!!!! Although I don't think this is anything to do with the problem!

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Dennyjo8 Our team is continuing to look into this behind the scenes. There's been no significant update, which is why we haven't updated this thread. 

Once we hear more, we'll be sure to let you know 🙂

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi all,

We've heard back from the teams investigating this for us. 

The phone is supported however Video Calling is only available when both devices are on 4G.

If you're attempting to make the call with Wi-Fi Calling active on your account and where both devices are displaying 4G connected then we'd need to follow troubleshooting with the device/network in your area. 

Please let us know if it's still not working for yourself when the above has been followed.

Hi @Alex,

What you stated is not a resolution.

There is issue with the video calling option which should appear in the call option what I mean is when we expand dailer on phone there should be option for Video Call, Call and Message as these are the options available on all other phones which are not provided by Vodafone even on display units in store.

But when it comes to Vodafone provided handsets there are only 2 options Call and Message.

On other phones there are no ristrictions to show Video Call option on dailer as if you select a contact there is no way any phone can recognise if the phone on other side got 4G or not. Once its connects the call then there may be chances but then there is where HD calls kicks in and you can then convert a normal call to a Video Call but that is not what we want as the phone shoud have this option like all other non Vodafone handsets.

Kind Regards

Vicky R

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@vicr76 Please can you provide a screenshot of the error you're seeing when expanding your dialler to select Video Call as an option?