Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung S8+ Video Calling

Dennyjo8
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have read so many posts on this issue, dating back to 2016, and I still can't believe Vodafone has STILL not resolved the problem!!!  

I am not able to make video calls on my new Samsung S8+, I have spent hours 'chatting' to both samsung and vodafone to try and get a solution - the latter have apparently never heard about there being an issue (and they were the technical team which doesn't bode well, as clearly no on is looking to resolve it!!!).  

I put my sim into my boyfriend's new S8 (to O2) and it worked perfectly - which obviously backs up the fact that this is to do with vodafone locking their phones and the firmware they use to do that.  

The solution I've been given is that I should send my phone away to samsung to 'investigate' - as I'm out of 30 day cool off this would mean I'm without a phone for 2 weeks which just is not do-able.  So I'm pretty much stuck with it!

It would be helpful if any moderator on the site could answer a few questions - 

a) if Vodafone have known about this issue for years and still not resolved it - why????

b) if there is a solution being worked on - when will it be available to us loyal paying customers who have been with vodafone for years??

c) will we be receiving any kind of compensation for not having this feature when it is clearly something that samsung support and alledgedly vodafone do too?  ( I have been repeatedly told that it's not vodafone's fault as they have activated the right settings on my account for me to be able to use video calling!

I also wondered if anyone else had tried getting their vodafone handset unlocked to see if this solves the problem? I have requested my unlocking code, I don't expect vodafone to refuse me!!!!

99 REPLIES 99

Hi,

No it does not have this option available on any Vodafone provided Samsung handsets.

There is no question about the improved performance when you can't access the function as Josh advised below.

Regards

Vicky R

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Yvana @vicr76 I'm sorry for any confusion that's been caused by this, Video Calling is an available feature on the Samsung S9. This is something that isn't available through the dialer, you'll still be able to use the feature itself through apps.

Hi @Loz

Don't ylu think that is a bit mis leading advise by @Josh. As this thread is all about video calling function with in the dailer and he confirmed that this is available in S9 which is not true.

All orher provider have no issue leaving that option available on all handsets but its only Vodafone eho don't have this in locked or even after unlocing the phone ehich ristricts user to take advantage if full functionality of the phone without rooting and in some extend this is illegal.

Regards

Vicky R

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

@vicr76 I'm sorry if you feel this is confusing in any way, I think the post @Loz put up will have cleared up any questions about the Video Calling option on the Samsungs. 

Hi @TJ

Does it rearlly make clear anything? Because the question was does Vodafone supplied Sansung phones have stock application to make video call us available or not but @Loz suggested a Vodafone's Call+ application? And aldo this in not an option only for Samsung handset but anyphone on Voda network can use this application to call other Voda customer only if they got tjis app installed.

Regarda

Vicky R

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @vicr76, the functionality’s built into the firmware by Samsung. It’s not something we can change.
We do allow video calls over our network via most of the major apps, including our own.

Blair

Hi @Blair

Here we go again, if its something to do with Samsung then why this option to make video call with in phone's dailer is available on all other network operator's locked phones but not only on Vida locked phones. 

Even this option is available in all display phobes in the Voda store as they are unlocked but the handsets customers recieving with Voda bloatware missing yhis option.

This all is confirmed by head office in 2016 but not able to resolve yet.

Regards

Vicky R

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm sorry for any confusion caused in the thread here @vicr76.

As @Alex has mentioned previously, due to the experience we'd seen from customers we removed the option as it didn't provide an experience that was consistent. 

Should there be any changes to this function being available in the future, this will show on our blog - while at the moment this doesn't look promising, an option for you and others would be to use an alternative app to have video calls.

Hi @Natasha

Got your point but what once the phone is ulocked we are still not able to use video call function and that ristricts the full use of the phone. All other providers all over world dont have this unseen issue but only Vodaphone provided handsets?

Don't you think this is all excuses?

Regards

Vicky R

TJ

Native video calling from the dialer is a specific feature of certain networks and isn't available on multiple providers across the UK @vicr76As previously advised, there's plenty of apps and other options to keep people connected via video call.