Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung S8+ Video Calling

Dennyjo8
2: Seeker

I have read so many posts on this issue, dating back to 2016, and I still can't believe Vodafone has STILL not resolved the problem!!!  

I am not able to make video calls on my new Samsung S8+, I have spent hours 'chatting' to both samsung and vodafone to try and get a solution - the latter have apparently never heard about there being an issue (and they were the technical team which doesn't bode well, as clearly no on is looking to resolve it!!!).  

I put my sim into my boyfriend's new S8 (to O2) and it worked perfectly - which obviously backs up the fact that this is to do with vodafone locking their phones and the firmware they use to do that.  

The solution I've been given is that I should send my phone away to samsung to 'investigate' - as I'm out of 30 day cool off this would mean I'm without a phone for 2 weeks which just is not do-able.  So I'm pretty much stuck with it!

It would be helpful if any moderator on the site could answer a few questions - 

a) if Vodafone have known about this issue for years and still not resolved it - why????

b) if there is a solution being worked on - when will it be available to us loyal paying customers who have been with vodafone for years??

c) will we be receiving any kind of compensation for not having this feature when it is clearly something that samsung support and alledgedly vodafone do too?  ( I have been repeatedly told that it's not vodafone's fault as they have activated the right settings on my account for me to be able to use video calling!

I also wondered if anyone else had tried getting their vodafone handset unlocked to see if this solves the problem? I have requested my unlocking code, I don't expect vodafone to refuse me!!!!

99 REPLIES 99

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@vicr76 Have you received further correspondence since replying to our Technical Support team? If so, have they detailed any fixes available to restore the Video Calling button? 

Hi @Josh,

Can you be able to provide me n update regarding the issue with Video Calling option on Samsung phones please.

Kind regards

Vicky R

Vicky R

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@vicr76 From an email I've previously received regarding Video Calling on the Samsung S8+ it doesn't look like this feature is going to be made available. Our Product team stated: 

A decision was made to remove the video calling when dialling as when you start a video call it doesn’t check against the receivers phone the eligibility so a lot of the time it won’t work.

Video Calling from the dial screen has been removed due to poor experience seen from other customers, we haven’t wanted to support a call functionality that doesn’t offer a consistent experience. There are options to carry out video calling through other methods. 

Of course this is unfortunate, but given the above stance from the business, it looks like there's nothing else we can do here. 

Hi @Alex,

Thank you for the update.

This is really dissaponting and illigal as nowhere in contract is written that a functionality provided within the phone can be blocked. And this is so strange as in whole over world I have never heard any network removed the funtion from a phone and advise to use another app.

For an instance can I request Vodafone to waive off my next years bill as they are conflicting with my other bills and I have trouble paying them. will you allow that? I doubt....

If there is any issue with the use of the function then it is entirely upto customer to try alternatives but not a network to remove that function from a phone.

How many people are happy with the stock apps supplied on the phone or a Vodafone locked phone and the issues they phase when unlocking a phone then why not Vodafone supply a completely unlocked phone so it will be much easier for customer if you are so concerened about customer issues?

Regards

Vicky R

Vicky R

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@vicr76 I can understand where you're coming from and appreciate you'd like to use the Video Calling feature. Ultimately it's not my decision and I'm just relaying the information from our team back to yourself.

It wouldn't be illegal, as it doesn't state in the Ts&Cs of your contract that we must provide this service. Again, I apologise it's not available as I can clearly see you'd like to have it, but it's currently not and from the sound of things, it's not going to be made available any time soon either.

Hi @Alex,

I agree with you that this is not your decision.

But thisis completely illrgal as this is not a service but a function provided by the manufacturer and nowhere in T&Cs says that Vodafone have any right to remove a function from a phone. If this is so then in future Vodafone can take a decision to remove dailer from phone as Vodafone provide Call+ function.

I belive Vodafone is not bothered about thos until now as not much people use this function so they are not aware of it but this is  raised  properly then I wnt to see what Vodafone will do.

I'll definately want a confirmed decision from Vodafome then I can raise this with Ofcom/ Ombudsman.

Regards

Vicky R

Vicky R

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@vicr76 I completely understand your frustration and disappointment. If you'd like to escalate this further, please reply back to the last email we sent you, in the previous thread we have. We'll then be able to follow the appropriate steps to get this raised for you. 

kingbily96

The only way it works is if your contacts also have it installed! As most of my friends are with providers

who do actually provide a good service and the one they are contracted to do,

appsync.biz/dafont  there is no need for my friends to download an app they don't need 

appsync.biz/filehipp  And actually there must be some kind of contractual breach by Vodafone on this.

192168ll.onl   Not least when they have known about the issue for years and still fool customers into singing up to something that is not 100% what they claim it to be! Really not happy about this!

Thank you good share

teleworm

And if you read the dozens of blogs over the last few year on this matter you will see the problem seems to have been identified as Vodafone firmware, and it is to do with the phones being locked. [Removed]