cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why is Vodafone blocking phones from WiFi calling when they are capable of wifi calling?

ajosborne
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've just purchased a Samsumg Galaxy S20FE phone after checking it was on the Vodafone compatibility list for wifi calling. It's also on the list of business phones compatible with WiFi calling. However Vodafone will not enable WiFi calling on it? Why?

I've contacted Samsung who say the phone does support WiFi calling, so Why is Vodafone denying me the WiFi calling from my plan? Enabling WiFi Calling is down to the carrier and Vodafone aren't doing it for my IMEI. but will happily do it for the same phone that they sell.

To say I am 'annoyed' is a huge understatement. There is no way of knowing if Vodafone will support WiFi calling or not until you've purchased it and can check the IMEI OR BUY IT FOR TWICE THE PRICE FROM VODAFONE?

I feel this one could be going to Consumer Standards... but thought I'd ask on the forum just in case anyone has a way to make it work. Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

Vodafone are not blocking WiFi calling on handsets that were not originally supplied by them. WiFi calling worked just fine on my S21 Ultra that I purchased direct from Samsung.

Where did you purchase your S20FE from? What is its CSC code?

Hi Paul,

The phone was purchased in the UK and has CSC (Country Specific Code) of BTU.

In the software it does also state BTU/BTU, BTU/EUX/BTU, maybe as its a dual SIM model, so it does appear to be a genuine British/UK phone.

The middle code is EUX not XEU. I have an older phone where the CSC is XEU and wifi calling works ok on that.

James.

Vodafone state this in their WiFi Calling Terms & Conditions

ajosborne_0-1660213785905.png

So what we need to know is what is Vodafones definition of an 'eligble' mobile phone and why are genuine UK phones capable of handling WiFi calling being denied it? What is Vodafones reason for denying customers wi-fi calling?

WelshPaul

My S21 Ultra is dual SIM and has the same CSC code as yours. I asked because some people buy imports...

Anyway, someone said taking the SIM out of their phone, placing it another only to then put it back into their original phone resolved the issue for them. Maybe give that a go?

yes there seems to be a lot of people with this problem.

It's understandable if you have a phone from a totally different continent that it may not work here.

Ultimately I believe vodafone are making some sort of crude decision to decide if they think your phone is 'eligble' by their criteria, not whether your phone supports wifi calling or not.

Could you try your phone on their IMEI checker and see what it says?

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/set-up-4g-calling/ 

Mine shows my phone is not compatible with wifi calling, which is clearly not true. And they suggest I buy a phone from them! 

ajosborne_0-1660216503870.png

WelshPaul

My IMEI is showing as being supported. Have you enabled VOLTE and WiFi calling on your account? You can enable both by texting the word CALLING to 97888. Failing that, do as I said above and put your SIM in a different handset for a few minutes before putting it back in your S20FE.

Yes VoLTE is enables and WiFi calling is enabled on my account  also.

I've had 3 chat/calls with the Assistant TOBi with the final most detailed one lasting over 90 minutes and resulting in the technician saying their IMEI checker shows my phone does not support WiFi calling, which we know is not accurate (yes the checker shows that but its wrong). he also tried sending me the over-the-air wifi calling message but their system would not allow him to send me the TXT (presumably because of the IMEI checker).

To cap it off I've just tried a friends EE SIM in the phone, started the phone up and Wi-Fi calling is enabled and working including TXT message over WiFi Calling. Test call, Test TXT both worked.

I will ty one last phone call to a human at Vodafone and if they cant provide me WiFi calling will cancel my contract due to 'failure to supply service'. I will not be paying any cancellation charges as this is their fault.

WelshPaul

Just send the text and try putting the SIM in another phone.

@ajosborne Voda aren't actually blocking it there are certain settings that need to be in a phone for VoLTE and VoWiFi to work properly. They tend to try and make sure these settings go into the branded phones you buy direct from them but for the UK default ones they don't always do so. BTU software on a Samsung is UK default. You might be able to get it to work still but it could cause other problems like calls dropping out. Some of us have problems where WiFi calls and 4G calls work but cut off after 29 mins and 50 seconds. You could also try flashing Voda branded software to your phone to get it to work. Some networks like EE seem to do it in a different way and the settings are either in the SIM card or get downloaded once you connect to the network