Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why is wifi calling limited to specific devices

prwg1981
2: Seeker

I am keen to understand why the availability of wifi calling on android is so patchy and linked to specific handsets. Wifi calling is available on pretty much every single iphone model across all networks, including unlocked phones

I am keen to enable wifi calling on my Moto G7 Plus but after many hours of searching I have not found a solution. However, i also have an Essential PH-1 and have successfully enabled wifi calling on that device on both Vodafone and 3 and it works really well.

How is it that a phone that was never officially released in the UK can use wifi calling without issue but it is disabled on other stock (or very close to stock) android handsets. I dont believe this argument that Vodafone "need to support" the device or it has to have some specific operator firmware on it.

The Essential phone is basically as close to AOSP as you can get, therefore wifi calling must be being actively and deliberately disabled on other handsets either by the manufacturer themseleves or the operator. But why?

And if anyone has successfully enabled wifi calling on a motorola device I'd be keen to learn how you did it

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @prwg1981 

Your quite correct that many phones have the capabilities to run the feature and I have seen posts from people who have managed to get it working on their phone even tho it isn't in the eligible phone list or hasn't been bought directly from Vodafone (excluding iPhones)

But that's been an exception to the norm.

A person needs to be on an eligible tariff too.

Vodafone know the feature will work on the phones bought from them as they have tested the phone and the firmware has their flavour blended in it.

Android is open source so different manufacturers have implemented their own things into it.

Apple i.e iOS is made by Apple for only idevices and itherefore the network knows nothing has been added to conflict with the feature.

The Vodafone Social Media Teams read all posts and I'm sure they'll pass your feedback up the chain.

I hope you find a way in the interim.

This is my personal opinion.

🏳️‍🌈Stay Safe 🏳️‍🌈

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I have a G8 Plus and can't get wifi calling to work on that either.  Extensive research suggests that it's an issue across the Motorola range and most networks.  I've even installed an app that is supposed to be able to access hidden switches, but that can't find the setting either.   It's strange, as the G range runs pretty much pure Android, with enhancements tucked away in the Moto app rather than burnt into the firmware.  Either that results in an incompatibility, or it's something that Motorola themselves have turned off for reasons which aren't clear.

Vodafone sell the G8 Power not the G8 plus.

Given Carphone Warehouse only stock unlocked phones to avoid having to stock separate phones for each network provider,  I assume that Vodafone detect the phone model, but I very much doubt the phone has special firmware. 

hrym

It does seem to be very model-specific.  For instance, a wide range of Sony devices is approved and yet there are reports of the S21 not being one of them yet - though that's likely to come quite quickly, I'd expect.

As for the Moto range, same thing, though I can't see why there would be differences between the G8/9 Power and Plus models that would affect implementation.   It's very frustrating,

My wife has a Moto G10 and I have just bought the Moto G30. We are both on exactly the same Vodafone account and tariff, and yet she gets the WiFi calling option and I don't. I really cannot understand this! 

YxYVXrnC

Re your request for successful WiFi calling activations. I have a Moto G 5G Plus, purchased from Amazon, running Android 10, using a pay monthly "Red" tariff. This allowed WiFi calling immediately once activated on the handset and the account. 

Yep. I just upgraded to a Moto G 5G plus also and wifi calling is now working.

The option to turn it on wasn't there initially (was the first thing i checked when i got the handset). I stuck in a 3 PAYG sim card and then the option to activate wifi calling did appear. Put the voda sim back in and the option remained, and its been working fine ever since. Don't know if that was coincidence or the 3 sim card had something to do with it

Anyway, can confirm that wifi calling works on the Moto 5G on Voda and 3. I bought unlocked version from Argos