Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Calling - Not able to set Wifi Preferred on Samsung S20 5G

blueacid
2: Seeker

Hi there,

I recently moved from EE Sim only to Vodafone sim only. 

Where I live, the signal on all networks is pretty poor. Near the window it's okayish, but as you move further into the premesis, the signal strength and quality falls off a cliff. Without wifi calling, calls break up, go robotic, or cut off altogether.

When on EE, I had wifi calling, and crucially had a menu option in the phone to make it prefer wifi for calls (rather than preferring the mobile network). This meant that even if I moved to near the window, the phone would stick with wifi despite 4G signal seeming attractive enough to switch to.

Now that I'm on Vodafone, that menu option is gone, and it seems that the phone aggressively tries to stick to 4G. If it's on wifi calling it really will only be as a last resort, and it'll try to move back to 4G as soon as the signal strength is good enough. If I move around my property while on the phone, it'll constantly be switching between the two: "Ooh there's 4G, let's move to this", followed soon by "oh this 4G signal isn't adequate for the call, let's move to wifi", but then "oh wait, 4g!" and the cycle continues. Each time it switches, the call seems to cut out for a second or so, so this is quite frustrating - it is not a seamless switch.

If the switch was seamless I wouldn't care, but because it is not I want the ability to force the phone onto wifi calling. I spoke to Samsung and they say the presence/absence of that menu option is configured by the operator. EE clearly left it enabled, Vodafone have disabled it. What can I do to get this option enabled? OR - should the switches between wifi/4g be imperceptible while on a call? Is there something broken there which could be fixed? 

Thanks for any help!

7 REPLIES 7

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @blueacid - The phone will prioritise which ever signal is stronger if you have both WiFi calling and Mobile Data enabled, so if you're moving around the property while on a call you may experience intermittent service. You will have the option when taking or making a call, to turn Mobile Data off and just have WiFi calling enabled since you've said your mobile network in some areas of your home is weaker.

I understand this isn't ideal, we're always looking to improve and upgrade our network so I'll pass your comments on.

It doesn't seem to be using the stronger signal. It will move to 4G as soon as the signal strength is above "bare minimum"; the wifi access point is in the same room as the phone, showing full signal from the 5Ghz wifi network it's connected to.

Speedtests on wifi get 150mbit in both directions (Hyperoptic full fibre internet connection) with a low ping.

I'd prefer to not have to alter the settings whenever a call comes in, or whenever I go out/return home. I've seen other comments about wifi calling requiring flight mode to be enabled then switching wifi back on. But, that's me nobbled if I want to leave the house while on the phone: I can't toggle flight mode while a call is in progress.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I appreciate that it's not the ideal solution @blueacid - I've had a look through my Samsung device and I can't see any options for 'WiFi Assist' unfortunately. It might be worth completing a manual roam to make sure you're connected to the mast with the strongest signal and to give yourself a refresh on the network:

Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Search Networks > Choose a different network for a couple of minutes, then reconnect to the Vodafone network.

I have the exact same problem as Blueacid!!

Wifi calling only turns on when there is zero signal, not a real world solution to keep turning flight mode on and off!!

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @blueacid 

From PedroC1999 "Phones do not latch onto the strongest signal.They follow the network assigned procedure, hence why it's not uncommon to be connected to a weaker signal than is strictly available "

I'm not sure if this will help but it might be worth a look at this thread in the Samsung Community Forum. There maybe more in eu.community.samsung.com/t5/smartphones/ct-p/smartphones-uk 

community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/Turn-off-Auto-Network-preference-for-WIFI-call 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

tbtim

I had pretty much exactly the same problem, but moving to EE, strange!

You can solve this at home by switching on aeroplane mode, then turning wi-fi and Bluetooth etc back on. Then phone, txt etc should work over wi-fi calling. Also saves battery as the phone isn't fighting for a signal all day.

I ended up installing an app called "VoWifi" this app allows you to set the option "Wifi Preferred" in the settings..

It is a set and forget app, doesn't invade your phone and works perfectly.