cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

wi-fi calling: continuous notifications it's available - how to stop it?

cdl
4: Newbie

I have an unlocked Huawei P20 Pro, dual sim (CLT-L29). Wi-fi calling works with Vodafone, EE and Three, but Vodafone is the only network which causes constant notifications to pop-up on my phone, to let me know that wi-fi calling is available. I could maybe understand that a notification appears the first time I connect to a wi-fi network (even though no such notification appears with the other 2 mobile operators), but why I sometimes get 3 notifications in 5 minutes, when I am 2 metres from the wi-fi router and with a perfect wi-fi signal, is beyond me.

Does this happen to other people? Is it a Vodafone thing? Is it the combination of Vodafone + P20 Pro? Is there a way to stop it?

I limited it this way:

setting -> apps -> more -> show system processes -> phone -> notifications -> wi-fi calling and disable all the options (display in status bar, etc.)

but some notifications still filter through.

Thanks!

108 REPLIES 108

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for all the feedback @grsbanks, I'll make sure that your comments are passed along to the relevant team to investigate further. If it's something we can fix, we'll be sure to do so; to help improve our customer experience in the future. 

Any news on this? It's been a month. And it's definitely something that's been introduced by Voda's alterations to the firmware given that this problem is not there in an unbranded P20 Pro.

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

It's disappointing to hear you're still receiving these notifications regarding your Wi-Fi Calling being active @grsbanks , I understand how frustrating this can be. As you'll be notified each time you're using Wi-Fi Calling and you're unable to turn this off, I'd recommend switching the notification alert to silent.

I understand this may be unsatisfying, unfortunately this isn't something we can change - unless you deactivated Wi-Fi Calling from your services. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that's been caused by this.

Hi @Loz,

I'm sorry but you clearly haven't read the rest of this thread. The problem is that we continue to receive these notifications with the default notification tone regardless of the settings, even if notifications for Wi-Fi calling are switched off altogether.

There is no reason this should go away since my previous post here because there have not been any firmware updates other than the usual Google security patches.

For now I have simply switched off Wi-Fi calling because the notifications are just too annoying. This, of course, means that I'm missing calls because the coverage at home is atrocious (hence wanting to use Wi-Fi calling in the first place).

I'm not holding my breath for a fix from Vodafone (this is a Vodafone-specific issue, other firmware variants don't ignore the settings). Fixing this won't increase Vodafone's revenue in any way so the problem report most likely belongs fairly and squarely in the "ignore" bin.

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@grsbanks I do understand your position here, I know it's not ideal but this is something new to us as well. I can see through the past comments that settings have been altered, I saw another thread on a third party site that mentioned about 'long pressing' the notification and seeing if it brings up any other actions to stop them coming through. Have you tried this at all? 

@Adam

"New" to you? This was raised 3½ months ago...

I have indeed tried what was suggested. All it does is bring you to the same settings page and has the same effect, i.e. none.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry this hasn’t resolved the problem with receiving these notifications @grsbanks. I’ve had a look into this for you and Huawei advise backing your phone up and performing a factory reset. This has helped users that have contacted them through their forum.
Let us know how you get on with this.

@Mark -- OK, thanks, I'll give it a shot and report back.

I was hoping to avoid that but... Oh well.

@Mark

Problem "solved". The phone is no longer likely to notify me about Wi-Fi calling being enabled because Wi-Fi calling is no longer an option.

Thanks a million.

Still no news...

BTW I went and had a look at other forums for myself, in particular the Huawei forum. Huawei are indeed recommending that users perform a factory reset, but users are NOT reporting back that it helped. They're reporting that it removed Wi-Fi calling from the phone altogether, as it did for me. In response to that, Huawei are reminding people that Wi-Fi calling is an operator added feature and pointing users back at Vodafone (this doesn't happen with other operators' firmware).

https://uk.community.huawei.com/software-40/p20-pro-keeps-notifying-me-of-wifi-calling-1735#post1328...

So I'm looking in your direction again. Is Vodafone going to fix this with a firmware update any time soon?