cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

wi-fi calling: continuous notifications it's available - how to stop it?

cdl
4: Newbie

I have an unlocked Huawei P20 Pro, dual sim (CLT-L29). Wi-fi calling works with Vodafone, EE and Three, but Vodafone is the only network which causes constant notifications to pop-up on my phone, to let me know that wi-fi calling is available. I could maybe understand that a notification appears the first time I connect to a wi-fi network (even though no such notification appears with the other 2 mobile operators), but why I sometimes get 3 notifications in 5 minutes, when I am 2 metres from the wi-fi router and with a perfect wi-fi signal, is beyond me.

Does this happen to other people? Is it a Vodafone thing? Is it the combination of Vodafone + P20 Pro? Is there a way to stop it?

I limited it this way:

setting -> apps -> more -> show system processes -> phone -> notifications -> wi-fi calling and disable all the options (display in status bar, etc.)

but some notifications still filter through.

Thanks!

108 REPLIES 108

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm glad to hear Wi-Fi Calling's been re-added to your account @grsbanks. I'm sorry the solution advised by Huawei caused you such an inconvenience.

Was this ever fixed, as in a UI or system update? Just switched over to Vodaphone, and I'm a classical musician and can't have notifications souinds going off all the time if I'm in a rehearsal.  Starting to wish I had stayed with EE!

chistery
16: Advanced member

No. I'm waiting for the next software update. It's out, but not been released over here yet. Maybe that will help. Or not.

@chistery The update now rolling out is Google's April 2019 security patch. There's nothing from Vodafone in there. If the security patch really is all that's in this update then that means Wi-Fi+ isn't fixed either (that's a purely Android bug, not one of Vodafone's).

chistery

@grsbanks, there are other fixes in the newest update .158 apparently, dual view, better image quality, may security update, for example. 

It's a Vodafone bug, as BT Mobile wifi calling doesn't do it, just Vodafone.

@chistery are you using a Huawei P20 Pro?

The update I just got for mine was .270 and it only includes the April 2019 security patch. Nothing else.

chistery

Sorry no, the P30 pro, same bug with wifi calling affecting Vodafone but different updates.

@chistery just out of interest, is Wi-Fi+ working for you? It's a known bug in the P20 Pro on which it does absolutely nothing :Smiling:

chistery

@grsbanks (why can't we @ people on here?!) I've never used it, how can I test it? If wifi is enabled it uses that, when it's not in range, it uses mobile anyway, so what is wifi+ doing differently?

@chistery Wi-Fi+ allows you to save power. When you're out of range of a known Wi-Fi hotspot it turns Wi-Fi off. Periodically it checks to see if there's a known hotspot within range and when there is, it turns Wi-Fi on again.

Also, if you're in an area with patchy Wi-Fi and mobile coverage, it switches between Wi-Fi and mobile data automatically according to which one offers the best signal.