cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

wi-fi calling: continuous notifications it's available - how to stop it?

cdl
4: Newbie

I have an unlocked Huawei P20 Pro, dual sim (CLT-L29). Wi-fi calling works with Vodafone, EE and Three, but Vodafone is the only network which causes constant notifications to pop-up on my phone, to let me know that wi-fi calling is available. I could maybe understand that a notification appears the first time I connect to a wi-fi network (even though no such notification appears with the other 2 mobile operators), but why I sometimes get 3 notifications in 5 minutes, when I am 2 metres from the wi-fi router and with a perfect wi-fi signal, is beyond me.

Does this happen to other people? Is it a Vodafone thing? Is it the combination of Vodafone + P20 Pro? Is there a way to stop it?

I limited it this way:

setting -> apps -> more -> show system processes -> phone -> notifications -> wi-fi calling and disable all the options (display in status bar, etc.)

but some notifications still filter through.

Thanks!

108 REPLIES 108

Thank you a thousand times - 'gentle notifications' - it works!

Cannot find post you cited so Ill thank you instead!!

Cheers.

P.S For Mate 20 pro users - the location is settings - apps - phone services - app info - notifications.

Continuous notifications means it's switching between 4G and WiFi calling. This is probably because you are in a low cell signal area, thus the reason you want WiFi calling in the first place!

What you need to do is set your preferred network to WiFi instead of Cellular. This setting will also fix other WiFi calling issues such as dropped calls / calls to voice mail. 

The only problem is this is a hidden option. On Samsung, you download a piece of software called "Samsung Band Selection". I'm not sure why all UK network operators hide this option. You could try downloading it on your Huawei. Ignore all the band selection screens and just use it to access the preferred network option. You only need to set it once.

Nope. It's not been fixed. My best guess is it won't be fixed because doing so is not going to increase Vodafone's revenue. However, I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong!

Interesting. I found this thread as I was also having problems with annoying notifications from Vodafone Wi-Fi calling.

Thing is I don't have it enabled, yet I get repeated notifications that it is enabled.

Tried enabling it then disabling it to see if this stopped them, but the problem persists. Anyone got any ideas?

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JaWoody Apart from the advice TJ provided above regarding having Wi-Fi assist active, we can't seem to think what else could be causing these continuous notifications. 

When you're enabling it and disabling it, are you doing this in your phone settings? If so, you may want to also check your My Vodafone app, which will allow you to disable it on your account as well. 

@Alex.

I don't have Wi Fi assist enabled as it seems to be a bit finicky at times and find everythings fine with just having Wi Fi and Mobile data enabled as normal. I'll look into the My Vodafone app thanks.

It seems I get the message whenever I go in and out of range of a Wireless network I already have saved on my phone, so it looks like I just automatically get the notification when I connect to a wi fi networks.

In the meantime I've just switched notifications off for this, it doesn't seem to be doing anything untoward, it's just annoying.

jameshull010
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just switched to Vodafone and now get this persistent ims WiFi notification too. Not too bothersome once you disable it coming up on your lockscreen but can't stop it from appearing in your notification tray. Didn't have this problem with ee at all. Also wifi calling was always active with my ee network regardless of mobile coverage, but with Vodafone I notice the wifi calling feature keeps switching dependent on your mobile signal quality, and it's every time it switches back on the notification keeps coming back. Pretty sure its to do with the way Vodafone have implemented this. Would prefer always active wifi calling like I had with ee and to not have it ping the ims service notification into your tray every time it establishes a connection.

Same here. And the system doesn't let you silence Vodafone WiFi Calling 

Screenshot_2023-07-15-08-32-30-16_8142442b4340f41fb3bd44535ad8f76b.jpg

I have the same on my OnePlus 11 5G. however, when  I was at my daughters who has Vodafone Broadband - I didn't get the notifications..... As soon as I am back at home, on BT broadband, they started appearing again