Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

BT Hot Spots

bolo
12: Established

Friend says I cannot access but hot spots with my new smart ultra 6. Is this true?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

The only BT hotspots that are available to you are the premium ones that are, as far as I'm aware, public anyway - these are in places such as Starbucks, Game, Carphone Warehouse etc.  Anything with a suffix (FON, B, H) is only available to BT Broadband customers.  Anything that asks for a login and offers a drop-down list should in theory accept your My Vodafone credentials, but I've never managed to get that to work.   BT don't distinguish between public and private hotspots, which is a major pain, especially when your device connects to one in preference to something else, but can't use it.   To add to the confusion, some motorway service areas also use a version of BT.  As soon as you set one of these up in your wifi list, all others will use the same details and that's when it gets messy.

Your best option is to forget about BT.   At some point, you'll be offered an O2-hosted site and, once you've set yourself up for that, you can use all other O2 hotspots, though you may have to tap on a sign-in screen.  You can also sign up for a free account with The Cloud, who seem to have the most sites overall.  I've walked down a high street hopping seamlessly from one to the next of theirs.

Inclusive BT wifi is an anachronism and a hangover from the days when pretty much all cafes and most shops didn't have free offerings of their own.

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers

Hi

Can I ask what contract / tariff your on ?

Help link http://m.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/wi-fi/index.htm

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

bolo

I'm payg with new ultra 6 bought today, but do have a £40 contract for my daughter who now also tells me that she has little or no success with but hot spots.

BandOfBrothers

Hi

From the Link

"You just need to be eligible to use WiFi on the London Underground. Or have a Pay monthly plan that includes BT Wi-fi premium hotspots.You just need to be eligible to use WiFi on the London Underground. Or have a Pay monthly plan that includes BT Wi-fi premium hotspots."

From https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Internet/Connecting-to-the-internet-on-your-phone/38913466/What-is-Wi...

"If you’re on Pay as you go, you'll have to pay BT when you want to access their BT Wi-fi hotspots. See BT Wi-fi for more information on their hotspots and charges."

To be honest I'm a Bt Internet Customer will access to Bt Hot Spots and Bt Fon and usually find the connection slow and glitchy.

If you turn on Wifi in your phones settings you should see any that you can connect to.  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

The only BT hotspots that are available to you are the premium ones that are, as far as I'm aware, public anyway - these are in places such as Starbucks, Game, Carphone Warehouse etc.  Anything with a suffix (FON, B, H) is only available to BT Broadband customers.  Anything that asks for a login and offers a drop-down list should in theory accept your My Vodafone credentials, but I've never managed to get that to work.   BT don't distinguish between public and private hotspots, which is a major pain, especially when your device connects to one in preference to something else, but can't use it.   To add to the confusion, some motorway service areas also use a version of BT.  As soon as you set one of these up in your wifi list, all others will use the same details and that's when it gets messy.

Your best option is to forget about BT.   At some point, you'll be offered an O2-hosted site and, once you've set yourself up for that, you can use all other O2 hotspots, though you may have to tap on a sign-in screen.  You can also sign up for a free account with The Cloud, who seem to have the most sites overall.  I've walked down a high street hopping seamlessly from one to the next of theirs.

Inclusive BT wifi is an anachronism and a hangover from the days when pretty much all cafes and most shops didn't have free offerings of their own.

bolo

Sorry to have taken so long to reply but have given up on BT hotspots. That said am going to have a look into The Cloud via Google and give you guys a break. Thanks for the replies.😊

hrym

I can't remember whether you can sign up to The Cloud through their FastConnect app or whether you need to do it via the website.   It's worth it, though.   BT is, frankly, a pain in just about every part of the body and forgetting about it is the best thing you can do.  You might even want to tell your phone to do that, too (in the wifi list).

bolo

Have googled THE CLOUD but there are so many links to choose from, I am not sure which is the ligitimate one. Perhaps they all are. Could someone please provide a link to the one that I would need for my SU6 phone please? I ask because I once downloaded a fake version of Superantispyware from what I thought was the ligitimate site.

63johnw

Hi, go to the play store and search for "the cloud"

Looks like this

Screenshot_2016-01-18-16-11-05.png

bolo

Thank you, installed now!