Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

BT Infinity, Sure Signal and Twitter

HalHovland
4: Newbie
Following exchange on Twitter, I'm here to see if you can fix my Sure signal. Its a model 9361 Home Cell V2.2. The new modem is one supplied by BT Openreach two weeks ago and the router is a BT Business Hub 3. It has a WAN static IP. I gave the Sure Signal a static IP on my LAN, and I went through the process of setting up all the ports required by the Sure Signal with a senior BT support person:- 8, 50, 500 (which required switching off a router feature known as BT Wi-Fi), 4500, 123 (NTP) and 1723 (PPTP). Other ports listed in various posts here were not required as they are used by hubs/routers other than BT. BT was able to reach, via the WAN static IP, through the ports to the device. I tried it with the Sure Signal in the DMZ and not in the DMZ. I tried it with the router firewall off and on. It brought a new meaning to Einstein's aphorism that "to keep trying the same thing over and over in the expectation of a different outcome is the definition of madness". I've tried every combination quite a few times, and I'm sure I am not alone. In the end (after several hours on the phone), BT support said it should work and so I asked about PPPoE and MTU. After a moment's embarrassed silence he said, "oh yes, you are on Infinity, I should have realised - it will not work". Even then I put it through more setting changes and tests. I then re-contacted Vodafone support - I thought "what do BT know?", and finally got the statement that Sure Signal, because of MTU and PPPoE/A incompatibilities, will not work with BT Infinity. Now, if you want me to waste any more time, before I do any of the tests, yet again, I would like someone to say that MTU and PPPoE issues can be overcome. Several articles appeared yesterday in the national papers on how good Sure Signal will be for the rural community (of which I am part), and I've Tweeted my findings to all of them in reply. Let me say these are not my conclusions but statements by BT and Vodafone support. Regards, Hal
31 REPLIES 31

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

The PPPoA in the first screen is an ADSL setting, which isn't in use as we are on VDSL

I can't recall if UPnP is enabled or not, I did have to make sure that the VPN Services are turned off (in turn enabling VPN Passthrough)

No other tweaks needed LAN side.

As It has also replaced the BT Openreach modem, taking that out of the picture... The only gotcha on setting up the WAN link is that it needs to have a VLAN tag of 101 enabled, which is turned off and blank by default.

Hi Hal,

Just thought I would drop in, I am not sure if you have seen my post but I too am having issues with the Vodafone Sure Signal (V2 in my case) with FTTC broadband (PlusNet via HomeHub5). I am sensing you too are getting a bit of a run-around rather than anyone wanting to really investigate and resolve the issue. I was wondering if you had a further course of action you were going to follow in the event of an ongoing failure to resolve the problem, as I am running out of ideas and would appreciate any thoughts!

Kind Regards

grolschuk

For the HH5 have you toggled the Port Clamping option to be on? (maybe disabling the port forwarding rules for starters)

Having a floating port number rather than fixed one can cause problems with the VPN connectivity.

Hi,

Is there any way to get my VSS to work with BT Infinity?

I've opened all the ports, but have not assigned at static IP.

I am over PPoE

Can't get the MTU above 1492 to the 1500 I'm reading about

Thanks for helping

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @genevazurich

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

As you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Thanks,

Jenny

adrianforrester
4: Newbie

Hi Grolschuk,

Port Clamping had been enabled as has port forwarding. I have tried every bit of advise offered. Basically they're telling me I need to buy either another sure signal or router. I don't know about you, but my Money Tree harvest isn't going to stretch to cover yet more hardware.

Regards

grolschuk

I don't think you need another suresignal, as it works fine on your old hardware.

The BT HH's have been tweaked too much by BT, and now are not allowing, for whatever reason, the suresignal traffic through.

They (and Sky) seem to have added or removed an option that end users can't get to to fix, and am pretty sure (as mentioned earlier in the thread) vodafone are working with them to find out what is causing the block... I can't see a fix being issed quickly though.

What is the HH doing for you that the Technicolour didn't to want to force the hardware change?

Hi Grolschuk

Primarily it allows me to get rid of the seperate OpenReach modem, provides Gigabit LAN connectivity and Dual Band AC WIFI. So basically, it's 10x faster overall. The Technicolor tg582n barely supports Wireless N (65Mbps was the fastest seen, although 150 is apparently feasable). The Network interface was all 100Mbps even to the Openreach Modem, so it was starting to struggle with more devices. Additionally it was one of few combined units that allowed IGMP (Multicast Packet) for YouView Internet Channels. So yeah, a lot of boxes checked really given the price.

grolschuk

Yep - its a shame BT have ##### about with the workings of it so much that there isn't an option to get around the communication issue.

I'm pretty certain that it is down to the HH being able to terminate VPN connections, and is terminating some of the traffic that should be heading to the suresignal, even with port forwarding turned on.

I'm guessing that if you tried to use an IP Sec VPN client from within your network with the HH as the gateway, it would struggle to connect too.

I'm not sure what software fix vodafone could put in place to get around a problem with the router, without lowering the security of the vpn tunnel, which wouldn't be a good move to do.

Working with BT to resolve the issue is probably underway, but the speed that big companies move at, I can't see a router firmware change forthcoming.

As posted for Hal, I've replaced my plusnet Technicolor and BT Modem with a Draytek 2860 (the n+ is the model with dual band wifi) and it is working fine with little to no setup required, if you have chance to recoup the money spent on the HH it may be worth looking at one of those.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you are going to be able to do other than wait for BT to losen the tight grip they have installed in their routers firmware.

Hi Grolschuk,

The issue doesn't appear so much to be the termination of VPN traffic, as I can connect to my office VPN without so much as an issue. The difference is that the packets are being fragmented due to the MTU being lower than 1492. I have seen similar issues with Draytek and Sonicwall firewalls, and to be honest trying to send everything at 1492 isn't efficient, that's why VPNs can adjust the MTU to suit the network infrastructure. Say for example, the device running the VPN was Behind a Modem/Router then a standalone firewall, there are factors that reduce the maximum throughput, so you would need to adjust the MTU, normally you would look to reduce the MTU of the VPN device to somewhere between 1392 and 1432. This would offer greater compatibility with devices, reduced packet loss and greater efficiency. Whereas running at 1492+ means it may take less packets, but in cases where the increase in packet size isn't supported, you just get a mess.

As you stated, you have been able to replace you configuration with a Vigor 2860, I would love to jump to the n+, however I just can't stretch the budget that far. You see trying to explain to the other half why I spent £240 on a box with flashy lights on would not make my life any easier. I also saw the Fritz!Box was a compatible option. But no one else can offer a more 'sensible' option. Additionally I am concerned that there may be issues with IGMP data.... Which would kill my YouView.

Some have said that the Sure Signal 3 offers better compatibility, but thats another £100, so basically yeah, no better off what ever way I try and cut it. As I stated in my other post, I am sure Vodafone must be working on WiFi calling, as the other major networks support it. They just won't admit it while they're still selling Sure Signals, it's just a pain in the back side trying to read minds as to what to do for the best!

Cheers for the input all the same!