Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

BT Infinity and Sure Signal.

Jimfew
4: Newbie

I have just changed ISP to BT Infinity. As expected, my Sure Signal has failed. I have tried all sorts of resets and have asked Vodafone support to reset my device and do a network reset. I have also done a hard reset myself. It still does not work. I have opened all the necessary ports on my router (not the BT hub but a Draytek 2820).

I wonder if I also need to ask BT to open ports on their servers? Is this necessary? My old ISP, Be*, did not restrict any ports but BT may be different.

Can anyone advise me.

My VSS number is 21221070754

Can anyone list all the ports the VSS needs to be open (as up to date as possible).

Many thanks, Jim.

101 REPLIES 101

James,

Tried doing a reset and no joy.

The Sure Signal still only has the single red light on. The first two lights flashed briefly a the beginning but the @ light has never been lit since I changed to infinity.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there 4prime,

Thanks for coming back to us.

What happens if you take the Draytek out of the equation?

Cheers,

LeeH

Hi,

Just thought I would add my exprience, as I now have VSS working with VDSL.

Originally I had a Draytek 2820n with a BT Openreach modem and the VSS would not connect.

I now have a Draytek 2850n (VDSL modem built in), and with the VSS connected to a LAN port on the Draytek, the VSS now works. The MTU on the Draytek is set to 1442

Hi adrichap,

Do you have BT Business Infinity with a static IP address? That's where I seem to be having problems as I can use my 2820n with a VSS when login into Infinity using bthomehub@btbroadband.com but not with my personal issue BT Business ID/password.

Thanks, Alistair

Hi Alistair,

My contract isn't actually with BT, but I do have the Infinity product with ADSL24. I do have a business contract with them, and I do have a fixed IP address.

When I was using ADSL (with ADSL24) using the 2820n ADSL modem, the VSS worked fine. As soon as I started using the BT VDSL modem connected to the WAN2 port of the 2820n, the VSS would not connect.

As of last week when I setup the 2850 using the inbuilt modem, the VSS has now connected, and is working as expected.

Adrian

Thanks for that Adrian,

I was wondering about the 2850 as possible upgrade - good to hear it works where the BT modem didn't.

I may have stumbled across a work around for the 2820 - early days yet - but I'll probably try the 2850 if things here go wrong again.

Alistair

Hi

Did you ever manage to get the 2820 working?

I have just moved from a fully functioning SS with ADSL to a non functioning connection via VDSL. What version of firmware are you using? Some posts seem to indicate packet fragmentation as an issue and I notice some comments around this in the various release notes...

Thanks in advance

I couldn't get my Draytek 2820n working properly with BT Infinity with a fixed IP.  All was OK until I converted from BT Infinity with no fixed IP to BT Infinity with fixed IP.

I found that if I booted the 2820 using the generic BT Infinity login credentials the VSS would establish its connections OK. I could then re-start the 2820 with my personal username and password and the VSS would stay active AND I got my static IP address. However, if the VSS got restarted (and occasionally it did that for no apparent reason) I would have to go through these steps again to have everything working.

So I bought a Draytek 2850n and it all works properly. I didn't even have to enter all the port forwards as the VSS came to life before I had a chance. It's been about a month now with no hitches at all.

Not happy about having to buy a new router but at least my VSS, VPN and fixed IP are all working as paid for.

Hi
Thanks for the response.
I have now tried a different router and it works fine. I have found several other posts stating that the 2820 does not work.
I will raise an issue with draytek As i am sure this is a firmware issue.
There are rumours around packet fragmentation so I think this is the issue.

Hi ARWC28. You mentioned you have a Draytek 2850n.
Can you tell me if 3G data access works fine through your 3G handsets?
It's often mentioned that the VSS works after using the 2850n. If have the 2850Vn variant. I can make and receive phone calls and texts, but no 3G data gets through.
I have all the usual port forwarding rules, the only difference that makes is the VSS takes less time to re-connect and show the correct lights.
Just wondered if you have 3G data.
Thanks
Mike