Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Blackberry Classic Playing Up!

LustForLeith
4: Newbie

Hi,

I have a Blackberry Classic that I've had for just under one year. 

This morning I noticed when I woke that I hadn't had any emails over night which surprised me. usually get emails from the likes of Groupon and what have you!

I also noticed that the touch screen wasn't working, I couldn't 'swipe up' to unlock the screen. I managed to switch it off by holiding the phone buttom and it went back on. After a few minutes I was able to use the screen and I started gettign updates.

This afternoon the same thing seems to have happened again. I can't use the touch screen and I haven't had any emails in about three hours which is again unusual.

The problem is me being able to get to a shop to get them to check it. I start work in the morning and finish at nine at night. Also becuase I can't swipe the screen, I can't make any phone calls on it either to make Vodafone aware of the complaint! 

Any ideas as to what could be the problem? I know that sometimes the email service drops and a reboot is enough to solve it. But the screen not working all the time is a bit of a worry. I can't think as to why that won't work and emails also stop.

I've had a Blackberry for years but I'm considering changing phone make when my contract runs out.

Any help would be great - thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

If this was my phone is try backing up first and then perform a factory reset. 

Vodafone apply a 24 month warranty if you got it through them. They can send a returns bag if you can't get to a store. Take time / date stamped pictures of the phone to prove its aesthetic condition. 

Don't send the SIM card , SD card , battery or back cover if removable. 

Are you able to borrow a friends , colleagues or family members phone in the interim as long as it's open to all networks or open to Vodafone 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

LustForLeith
Hi,

Thanks for you're reply!

I've managed to get back into it but the touch screen has stopped working. I can get through the various applications that I need but it's not as easy!

Also, the phone is a sealed unit so I can't take off the back!

Thanks

That's great you've managed to get back into it. 

Yes ear that's why I said "if removable " in regards to the battery and back cover. 

I assume your firmware is up to date too. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @LustForLeith

The best thing to do is to Google Blackberry repairs and take or send the phone to an authorised repair centre.  Quite sure Carphone Warehouse will be able to offer to repair your faulty screen problem.

If you have a phone which takes the same size SIM, you will still be able to keep in touch whilst the phone is away for repair.  The other alternative is to do a SIM swap through a Vodafone store.  Understandably, this will be time consuming and inconvenient.

LustForLeith
How would I know if the firmware is up to date?

Thanks!

Generally Phones have a software update section in their settings. 

Something similar to -> Settings-Software updates - Tap check for updates. 

Current Phone  >

LustForLeith
Thanks!

I tried that and it said I already have the most recent software!

Getting by just now. Just wondering why it stopped working this working, was fine then stopped again!

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@LustForLeith wrote:
Just wondering why it stopped working this working, was fine then stopped again!

Possibly because it just became faulty or has a loose connection.

PWIAC

jeffkinn

It sounds like a hardware fault but it could be software. You could try re-loading the operating system using Blackberry's desktop software to see if that cures the problem.

Otherwise a hardware repair is the only option either at an official Blackberry repair centre or by Vodafone.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png