cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Do VF delay updates for OS updates on unlocked phones?

edhdurham
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

Just a general question, I have bought a phone direct from Blackberry (DTEK50) I tend to get phones as part of my contract but have gone this way for a change.  My question is on the BB forums other users with unlocked DTEK50's have received the latest Android security patch, but I am still on April.

So I wondered if Vodafone still prevented OS updates until they have verified the patch or whether I need to go to BB and raise a support ticket with them direct.

Cheers Ed

6 REPLIES 6

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

If it's an unlocked phone acquired from a non Vodafone source, then Vodafone has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with OS updates. They only apply to Vodafone branded phones.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Sorry if its an update from say for example 

Marshmallow to nougat then Vodafone don't make any statements  and fully test it  to be sure it works with these system and features.

And as I'm new to all this didn't  it ununderstand  at first  still getting my head around  it but it  takes quite a lot of work getting it how they want it especially for all the different devices out there.

Must  be  a great job though 

jeffkinn

Vodafone doesn't supply Blackerry phones at all these days, so by definition all updates will come directly from Blackberry. The network has no involvement.

In my experience none of the Android manufacturers update their operating systems as quickly as we'd like. If you always want to be on the latest version you need to get a phone from Google.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

If it's any consolation I'm on 1st Feb 

It does seem Samsung are a bit behind the others imo regarding the security updates even though Samsung and black berry are totally different companies

@SKYMAN513 wrote:

If it's any consolation I'm on 1st Feb 

It does seem Samsung are a bit behind the others imo regarding the security updates even though Samsung and black berry are totally different companies

Yeah Samung always take ages as they dont use stock Android and have their own overlay, therefore have to check / test / amend any updates before release...  but Blackberry use stock Android with minimal changes.

In terms of releasing updates they (BB) state that they will be released the first week of initial release, which they have hit for the last three months, I have only had a problem since I put the VF sim into the phone.

I will post a message on BB forum to check with them.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@edhdurham

We're sorry to see you're experiencing difficulties.

As @jeffkinn has rightly pointed out that with this issue you'd be required to speak with Blackberry directly, you can contact them here.

If you have any network or account related issues, please, don't hesitate to get in touch.