Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Firmware updates for Samung S5/S4

djs1970
4: Newbie

Is Lollipop still the latest firmware being offered to the S5 and S4?

My Hudl2 used to be on Kit Kat and when I upgraded to Lollipop it used more memory and apps had to be deleted.

WIth the Samsung firmware, does this use more memory compared with Kit Kat on the S5 and Jelly Bean on the S4?

Is the latest firmware more stable now?

Many thanks for replies in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

djs1970
It would appear the latest software upgrade has stopped those annoying pop ups

View solution in original position

45 REPLIES 45

It isn't just my take on it, it is best practice as it gives you a clean starting point. It is the same with a major upgrade to your PC - format before upgrading as it solves a lot of issues.

I'm not the only on on here that recommends that, TSD does to for example. If you frequent some of the other sites where you can get custom ROMs , the general consensus of opinion is that you perform a factory reset after installing any firmware or upgrading any firmware. This is regardless of whether what you're installing is a custom ROM or an official ROM

PWIAC

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@drey_p wrote:

It isn't just my take on it, it is best practice as it gives you a clean starting point. It is the same with a major upgrade to your PC - format before upgrading as it solves a lot of issues.

I'm not the only on on here that recommends that, TSD does to for example. If you frequent some of the other sites where you can get custom ROMs , the general consensus of opinion is that you perform a factory reset after installing any firmware or upgrading any firmware. This is regardless of whether what you're installing is a custom ROM or an official ROM

Absolutely agree with what you have said and have seen other places that suggest it's a good practice. TSD has vast knowledge in this field then which I respect as well as your knowledge. 

All im saying is I have not had to perform this on the phone as it was in my expectation performing within its parameters. If it had shown signs of issue I would have carried out the reset.

Im sure @djs1970 now has lots of good help and advice. 

Are you going to update ? If so I hope all goes well and follow how you wish to proceed. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

The advice we have generally given over the years with Samsung phones is to factory reset both before and after a major update of the Android operating system. This doesn't seem to be as necessary with other manufacturers but Samsung phones do perform better after an update.

It is personal preference of course but it is best practice.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

djs1970
The S5 has 2.2Gb of free space. S4 I don't know as phone not here at the moment.

djs1970
Thanks for the replies. After having a bad update a while back on an S3, I've resisted the temptation to upgrade. I used to be one of the first to update, but now I've learnt my lesson why update if it works great. I've used Lollipop on my Hudl2 and it certainly seems smooth and fast. If the message to update didn't keep appearing I think I would leave it as it is. Time off work, time to spare, good time to update? Who knows! Sorry about the typo error on the thread title!

BandOfBrothers

No worries. 

Thats is what we are here for. 

The diversity of knowledge in the forum is vast and I hope we have helped you in your endevours. 

Im not sure with your phone but it's a shame if their isn't a setting to disable the firmware update reminder ?

Current Phone  >

djs1970

Im not sure with your phone but it's a shame if their isn't a setting to disable the firmware update reminder ?

I don't believe on the S5 you can, besides since you agree to Googles T & C they send these messages and basically force you to keep you phone updated. I'm sure I read that somewhere a while ago.

BandOfBrothers

I performed a google search in regards to stopping those particular notifications and theirs quite a few hits on suggested solutions. 

Some do support what you say about not being able to stop them on a stock android phone. 

All I get is a reminder in my software update setting in the iPhone and that's it. No repeat reminders on the iPhone and only get a repeat on my Mac when I hook up to iTunes. 

Current Phone  >

jeffkinn

There is a visual reminder on an iOS device if you go into settings. There's a notification on the general settings and the software update section of general settings.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

djs1970
What new features does Lollipop bring to the S5 and 4. Do they remove any features?
I've used this forum before and once again the help given is fantastic. Once again many thanks.