main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Firmware updates for Samung S5/S4

SOLVED
View solved solution
drey_p
16: Advanced member

@djs1970 wrote:
What new features does Lollipop bring to the S5 and 4. Do they remove any features?

Most of the changes are in the background so it is not stuff you're necessarily going to see. 

One of the things I noticed on the S5 was improved battery life, it wasn't dramatic but it was definitely better. You will notice that the icons look different compared to KitKat.  There is also improved RAM management and because of this it does feel a lot slicker. Lollipop also brings Gear support if I am not mistaken.

Overall, I like it but I am keen to see what Marshmallow brings 😉

PWIAC

View more options
djs1970
4: Newbie

Marshmallow on the S5, will it happen? According to the Internet it will be, but will Vodafone release it, who knows? 

View more options
drey_p

I have the S6 so I should be getting Marshmallow soon.

When it comes to the S5, there seems to be 2 trains of thought.  The majority of what I have read seems to indicate it will, but until it comes out noone will know.

As for if Vodafone will release it, I imagine that they would but they won't give you any timescales as per their Firmware Statement

PWIAC

View more options
djs1970
Well I did it. S5 now running Lollipop. I was expecting different wallpaper instead the old S5 wallpaper appeared. I also thought a lot of the background would be white behind the icons like on my Hudl2. Lost my photos in the upgrade, but thankfully found them in the Samsung Smart Switch program. Anyway running Lollipop 5.0 which I assume is the latest. I also noticed although phone connected to pc, battery appeared to go down!
View more options
drey_p

Have you done a factory reset of the device?

PWIAC

View more options
djs1970
Yes. Did factory reset before and after. Things are different than KitKat, for example notifications.
View more options
drey_p

It may be an idea to give it a good charge as often the battery stats are reset when you do a factory reset. 

PWIAC

View more options
djs1970
One problem I have noticed since the Lollipop update is the back cover warning appears every now and then. It used to only show when first switching on when of on KitKat.
View more options
drey_p

That is a bit odd - I've only got that warning when turning the phone on after it has been off. Not had it any other time.

PWIAC

View more options
djs1970
That's the way it used to do with me. I did a factory reset before and after upgrading. I'll try clearing the cache to see if that helps.
View more options
drey_p

Let us know if it does.

PWIAC

View more options
djs1970
Clearing the cache did not work The cover message appears to only happen when the phone comes out of sleep mode. For example open my s view case and message appears. Message doesn't appear everytime though
View more options
drey_p

That is so strange. Ive not been able to replicate the issue here. Is it only when you open the S view case?

PWIAC

View more options
djs1970

Hi 

It seemed to be when I opened the s view case. However it doesn't do it all the time. I also saw it come up with the message with the s view case closed. The message only appears for a few seconds then it goes off.

View more options
drey_p

Could you take the S View case off and see how it behaves - I am wondering if it may be causing the issue. 

PWIAC

View more options
djs1970

I'll try that tomorrow, but I'd be surprised if it's the case as this message has only appeared since the Lollipop update. 

View more options
drey_p

Doing a bit of digging, I don't think that it is the Lollipop update as people have been reporting this issue on KitKat to. 

Some people report the issue being sorted out by turning the phone off, taking the back cover off and battery out for a few minutes before reassembling it and restarting.  Do make sure that the two pointed bits on the phone are making contact with the metal bit in the back cover.

PWIAC

View more options
djs1970
I did this and thought that was the fix. Unfortunately it isn't! Oh well, back to the drawing board. Thanks for the idea.
View more options
drey_p

Are the little metal bits that stick up making contact with metal plate in the back cover?  You may want to see if you can gently pull them out a little if they aren't

PWIAC

View more options
djs1970

I may try this later today, however unless its a coincedence this message has only appeared since the Lollipop update.

I must admit I believe the message appears less since popping the battery out.

Unless myself or anyone else comes up with an idea I have two options.

1) Ring Samsung after the festive period.

2) Reset the phone again. No matter how well you back up your phone this is always a pain.

The S4 is being updated later, lets hope thats ok!

Happy New Year!

View more options