Galaxy S6 will not save email server settings

CodeNumpty
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have 3 email accounts on my S6.

Gmail = no problem

Microsoft Exchange = no problem

IMAP on my business domain = big problem

All 3 worked fine until I had to do a factory reset. Since then I have serious problems with one account.

I have set up the IMAP account & can receive emails. However, every time I try to change the outgoing server settings, having pressed DONE the little symbol rotates, I get no errors BUT the settings are not saved.

Vodafone are not interested as they say it is a permissions issue & I must speak to my IT dept (me). I have this account set up on my Galaxy S4 & can go in & edit it no problem, it sends & receives emails from this account. This proves that my permissions are set correctly.

As Vodafone will not accept that this is a problem with the phone (it is the phone that will not save the settings), has anyone out there got any suggestions? I am loathe to do another factory reset for obvious reasons.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello.

Are you able to try a different email app instead of the one your currently using ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers

Hello.

Are you able to try a different email app instead of the one your currently using ?

Current Phone  >

I was so wrapped up in the fact that it refused to save the settings that  I didn't take stock & try the obvious. Now that I have tried Bluemail, I find it better than the default app anyway, the server setting are not the usual smtp.domainname, which the Samsung app never managed to get automatically, but Bluemail did so I am one happy bunny.

hrym

You might argue that this is a Vodafone issue because they supplied the device, but the truth is more likely to be that no one at the network has the expertise to solve the issue, and particularly not if it's service-related.   It's odd that this has happened since a reset rather than a system update (or was the reset following one?)   In that case, there could be a new version of the email app that, for some reason, isn't communicating with your business acount SMTP server.

There are, however, a number of things you can try.

1. POP instead of IMAP

2. Security settings for SMTP

3. Clearing the app cache and data in the main Settings menu.  Actually, I'd probably start with that as something may be hanging over from the previous setup.

I assume that you're using Gmail through the email (rather than the dedicated) app?  That, of course, probably sets up automaiically, being a popular service.   The fact that you can do that (assuming you are), suggests there's nothing wrong with the app itself.

Also, have you tried doing the setup over both wifi and mobile data?   If the email service is linked to an ISP, they sometimes don't like SMTP connections that aren't over their own network, or (occasionally) mobile ones.  Again, though, the fact that it worked previously is odd.

If none of the suggestions above works, you may need to speak to the service provider, and maybe also Samsung as the app is theirs.

Thanks for your suggestions. I was only using my Microsoft Exchange email through the Samsung app & that was no problem. Having now tried Bluemail I am far hapier with that & will junk Samsung's offering.

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

Good to hear the suggestion helped. 

Current Phone  >

hrym

I'll admit I got frustrated with the Samsung app many years ago.   As I'm using Gmail anyway, it made sense to use the dedicated app.   If you have a spare moment, could you try my sugestion no 3.   It would be useful to know if it fixes it, just in case something similar arises again.