main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

HTC Desire - How to stop receiving texts from "50" with area phone code

Moderator (Retired)

Hi Dave44,

Cell Broadcast is not an issue. The feature is built into the phone to be available if requested, and designed to be switched off if you have no need.

Did you try following Metal's instructions some way up this thread? I've done some digging omn the Sensation XL and these fit what I've found:

Menu > Settings > Call > Uncheck Cell Broadcast.

Dave

View more options
4: Newbie

Also bear in mind that on older software versions it is NOT called CB but Location/Locations.  So for people that may have thought they don't have the options you actually might do! :Smiling:

On the sensation I was pretty sure it came under sms settings and allow location?  Could be wrong however as it's been a while!

The newer software versions of the Desire handsets all have the facility to turn off CB broadcasts so it shouldn't be an issue.

To all the "older" posts that I see here without knowing the exact handsets it would be hard to comment but as I said above, look at turning off "Location" services.

Mike

Works for Vodafone Uk.

View more options
2: Seeker

Hi, My fourteen yr old daughter has been receiving such texts for the past couple of months and now she is becoming very anxious about it. They have appeard with two different local area codes 1495 and 1443. Each time she has the opportunity to cancel or save. When she has saved them it's clear it has come from "50". Yesterday she received 117 of these texts in two hours. We really need to be able to stop this so any advice will be gratefully received.

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there SianO,

Thanks for posting.

Has your daughter tried any of the suggestions in this thread?

The codes are for the Pontypool area having done a 'Google search' for these.

Ask your daughter to have a read through this thread for the earlier suggestions and let me know if she needs more help.

Cheers,

LeeH

View more options

Hi there, She did the "settings, call, cell broadcast" action immmediately and so far, thankfully, she has had no more texts! Her friend was also having the same problem and I think, with all the "cyber nasties" out there they were getting very nervous. Thanks for your reply and help!

Sian 

View more options

i have HTC Desire 500 and i m facing same problem. i keep receiving pop msgs evry time i enter or leave any area/street like 7 to 10 messages in a row. this is so annoying. how do i stop it. i tried goin into settings-call option but there is no call/cell broadcast option to uncheck.. please help me out.

View more options

Hi Amman,

Apologies, we seem to have missed your post.

Did you get this sorted? Let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Jenny 

View more options

Even I am facing the same problem from last 10 days.Getting these flash messages with "save" and "cancel" option. I have tried to implement your solution but I dint find "call brodcast option" in side "call". Can you please please help me out. My phone details are as follows

Model : HTC desire XDS

Operating system : Jelly Bean

call service : Airtel

The path that you have provided i.e. Setting/Call , only two options are visible which is as follows

1 Call settings

2. Phone settings

View more options
16: Advanced member

Hi there

I note that your provider is Airtel - are you a Vodafone UK subscriber?  The reason I ask is that the support on this forum is specifically for Vodafone customers and solutions here may not work on other networks.

If you aren't a Vodafone UK subscriber is may be best that you contact your provider for further help and advice.

PWIAC

View more options

there is only way of turning off cell broadcast message in HTC desire X dual sim is take out the sim from your phone, put it in other phone which shows broadcast message disable setting like any old phones.
disable the broadcast setting, delete all the channels and restart the old phone.
now put the sim back in HTC desire XDS

View more options
there is only way of turning off cell broadcast message in HTC desire X dual sim is take out the sim from your phone, put it in other phone which shows broadcast message disable setting like any old phones. disable the broadcast setting, delete all the channels and restart the old phone. now put the sim back in HTC desire XDS
View more options

there is only way of turning off cell broadcast message in HTC desire X dual sim is take out the sim from your phone, put it in other phone which shows broadcast message disable setting like any old phones.
disable the broadcast setting, delete all the channels and restart the old phone.
now put the sim back in HTC desire XDS

VISHAL

View more options