main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Newbie unable to open new phone ....?

4: Newbie

Hi first time I've ever used a mobile phone and just bought a Vodaphone Smart 6, but having big problems trying to even enter to add top up pay as you go voucher as it's saying "No Service ?" and it's still locked. New Sim card installed ok.

Much appreciate what to do next thanks....

View more options
17 REPLIES 17
Community Champion (Retired)

Have you activated the SIM card?

View more options

Oh dear got to start somewhere so apols !

No how do you do that ?

View more options

We all have to start somewhere :smileyvery-happy:

To be honest and as you have not gone through this procedure before the best was ISPs to go into a Vodafone store and ask them to activate the sim for you, they will do that while you wait and make sure the activation request has gone through.

Take your phone and the SIM card and it should not take more than 15 minutes of your time. At the moment online activation appears to be taking a lot longer so the store is your best bet to get up and running.

Good luck.

View more options
View more options

Thanks for the kind thought.... ! :smileyhappy:

Nearest store is about 25 miles away and as there's no rush how to go about online activation ?

View more options
Crossed posts thanks for the info....
View more options

You are more than welcome.

If you run into any problems just post back as there will always be someone here willing to help you.

View more options

Just remembered I've heard it's risky to use your mobile close to a laptop, is this true and if so what must you do and not do etc....?

Thanks

View more options

I have used my iPhone near and on my laptop for many years and never blown mysel up.

i think years ago there was a worry about magnetic fields causing some conflict but quite honestly I have not heard anything about that for years.

View more options

Glad to hear you're still in one piece then....!

Not the slightest idea what I'm doing or have done but for some reason it's unlocked. All well and good but how on earth do you find your way round as it's like standing in Yellow Pages.

Is there a map or something anywhere ?

View more options

It can be a bit like driving around the M 25 in the wrong direction.

What make and model phone do you have?

View more options

Sorry I see you told us that in the first post.

View more options
View more options

Thanks it's all a bit confusing at the moment. Originally I bought a Nokia small phone about 7 or 8 years ago just for use in the car and the RAC etc. but used it perhaps twice in all before it finally packed up a couple of weeks ago .

And it's still the same situation today as I've worked from home for years taking the laptop with me whenever necessary. This is why the guy in Argos suggested the one I've just bought but which is beginning to start feeling a bit like overkill ? What do you use yours for ?

Anyway thanks again for getting me off the ground !

View more options

Having problems with £5 top up voucher being accepted on-line about half an hour ago but still "no service" showing at the bottom....?

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks

View more options

All eventually solved via Customer Care - thank goodness !!

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @arcadian

I hope you're finding things are falling into place a bit by now! @kids has already given you a lot of very helpful info, and I knew that there was a "Getting Started" section somewhere on the Vodafone website, which is intended to help newbies.

It's remarkably well hidden, but I eventually tracked it down here - some of the information may come in useful, but just disregard anything you aren't ready for yet.

Annie.

View more options