Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia N900 Hints And Tips

VodafoneUK
Administrator
Administrator
Welcome to our list of Hints and Tips!

If there is anything not covered here, please feel free to add your own finds as a reply, and these will be compiled into the main list periodically.

Thanks for your feedback!
18 REPLIES 18

Sticky_Mick
6: Helper
Wish you could use external hard drives and memory sticks with the N900?

Your wishes may soon come true: USBOTG (On The Go) for N900
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Once in a while I drift in time. To a place in my memory where it still hurts to find
I was takin' on the World with a see through smile. But dyin' on the inside all the while
I was dyin' on the inside all the while.

sorrento205
4: Newbie
new app(s) you wont find on standard catalogues:- Signove Funlabs

Sticky_Mick
Good music player in the making in development. Available from Ovi Store Instictiv.

A few screenshots of it in action:

There's also a trouble shooting/feedback thread on maemo.org Instinctiv
Once in a while I drift in time. To a place in my memory where it still hurts to find
I was takin' on the World with a see through smile. But dyin' on the inside all the while

Sticky_Mick
Anyone tried Stellarium yet. There's 2 versions available; 1 of them is in Extras Devel and the other is in Ovi Store.

The Extras Devel version is a straight port from the Linux PC version and is a freebie. So therefore the keyboard controls don't match your N900 board, but It's pretty easy to find your way around.
The Ovi Store version is fully "Hildonised" so it had a lot more work done to make it compatible. That version will cost you £3:00, but it's worth every penny IMO.

Some screenshots of the Extras Devel version in action:

Nearly there.

Zoomed in on Mars.

Neptune in all it's glory.

Zooming in on Saturn.

Saturn's rings.

A close up of the rings.

The Moon. This shot actually mirrored the Moonphase desktop widget. So shows how accurate it is.

Once in a while a cracking app comes along and this is one of them cuteTube. A Youtube client that plays and allows downloading of Youtube videos.

I actually downloaded a 14:45minute HD - 1080p video that took only about 3.5 minutes to download over Wi-Fi and it plays back at fullscreen beautifully, although bare in mind my phone is overclocked to 900MHz.

Here's a good tip for the technoheads amongst you. :smileytongue:

Fancy making music on your N900? Then get SunVox from here: SunVox.

You'll need to download the Windows, Linux, MacOS X, PalmOS and Windows Mobile version. It'll come down as a .zip file so you will need to have the .zip plugin for File Manager and the .deb installer installed on your device. Download and extract the SunVox zip to your documents folder. Once done, start File Manager and find the SunVox files in your documents. Scroll down until you find the SunVox.deb file. (It'll be in a folder called SunVox with the other versions). Double tap the SunVox.deb file and it should install to the Multimedia folder, where you'll find the icon to run it.

There's a few example tracks and instruments to get you started. To get to the menus, just tap the spanner icons at top right and middle right. There's also a record button to record your creations and you can even convert them to .wav format to use them as ringtones.

With regards to clearing out the unnecessary files left over from the extraction/install process, I'll have a looksee and get back later to say what can safely be deleted to free up some storage space.

p1e9t9e0r
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi. My N900 screen recently stopped working. I suspect it may have internal LCD damage. This has been caused through no fault of mine but I doubt that Vodafone will not see it as anything other than user damage. There is no visible crack or discoloring on the screen it is just black as if it has been turned off. My question is, will this be covered in my warrantee and if not how much will it cost to repair? 

Thanks.

Hi p1e9t9e0r

Welcome to the eForum!

This is a good question and I can understand where you’re coming from. Unfortunately it would be difficult for us to answer this handset until an engineer has taken a look at it.  I know certain things are not covered by the warranty, things like wear and tear and cosmetics are not usually covered by the warranty.  

My best suggestion would be to take your phone for repair. Our engineers will then be able to tell you if the fault is covered and how much this would cost if not covered.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team

Okay I will ring vodafone and arrange it, Thanks for the help.