Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming for dummies!

Sandy8100
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have read the info about roaming and charges but being quite tech illiterate, I'm still not sure about it!  I have a Nokia Lumia 920, I'm in Spain and I've just bought the International Smartphone Sim.    

Can anyone tell me.....

If I have roaming on and I am at home or work, will my phone automatically connect to my home or work WiFi network therefore not using any of my prepaid data?

If this is not the case, what is the best thing  to do?  Should I leave roaming off? 

When I'm out, if roaming is off, will I connect to Vodafone networks automatically?

I would be very grateful if a kind and patient person would give me an explanation suitable for an idiot!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Is the Lumia 920 actually unlocked?  Having it unlocked is pivotal if you want to use another network's SIM card in it.

Put simply, roaming is the ability to use your phone abroad.  This means that you will be able to use your Vodafone UK number whilst in Spain - people will be able to call you on your UK number.

The International SIM (I'm assuming this is one of those ones provided by the likes of Lyca mobile) basically will give you roaming but not on your UK number. If you have roaming data enabled, you will run up roaming data charges when not connected to WiFi.  If you don't want to run up these charges turn off data roaming and disable mobile data.

If roaming data is off, you will still be able to use your phone to make calls and send texts.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

drey_p

Hi there

Is the Lumia 920 actually unlocked?  Having it unlocked is pivotal if you want to use another network's SIM card in it.

Put simply, roaming is the ability to use your phone abroad.  This means that you will be able to use your Vodafone UK number whilst in Spain - people will be able to call you on your UK number.

The International SIM (I'm assuming this is one of those ones provided by the likes of Lyca mobile) basically will give you roaming but not on your UK number. If you have roaming data enabled, you will run up roaming data charges when not connected to WiFi.  If you don't want to run up these charges turn off data roaming and disable mobile data.

If roaming data is off, you will still be able to use your phone to make calls and send texts.

PWIAC

Thank you...it's becoming clearer....

Yes, the phone is unlocked and I have a Vodafone International Sim with a Spanish number.

As I am in Spain with a Spanish number and Sim, should I leave data roaming off?  Will this mean I will always have my data connected and only use my prepaid data allowance?

At home my phone is connected to my home WiFi.  Will this automatically change when I'm pit of the signal reach and connect me to Vodafone?

drey_p

Hi there

If you are in Spain, using a Spanish number, you're not roaming.  I would personally leave roaming data off in case you use your UK number whilst abroad - leaving it off will prevent you from running up expensive roaming charges.

Leaving data roaming off will not affect you using your Spanish number in Spain - it will only affect you if you use your Spanish or UK numbers abroad.  So you can use your Spanish number and browse the internet in Spain with no issues.

When you are out of range of WiFi, your phone will automatically connect to Vodafone ES and you can use data.

I personally would turn off WiFi when not using it as it helps to save battery life as it stops the phone searching for WIFI all the time. 

PWIAC

Aha...I think I understand now!

Thank you so much for your help