Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung S6 and syncing with Outlook on Smart Switch

SusyQ
3: Seeker

I've just upgraded from an S4 to S6. I was previously using Kies 3 to sync my outlook contacts, diary and tasks on a weekly basis which worked perfectly.

I have been advised by Vodafone technician and can see on other forums that the S6 is not compatable with Kies any longer and this may be sorted but no date given.

I did use Smart Switch to transfer as a one off all the apps and info on S4 to my S6 which has worked fine. I have also been advised by a Samsung Technician that I can download Smart Switch to my windows 8 laptop and use this to update/sync my S6 and Outlook just as I did Kies.

I have downloaded the latest software for Smart switch windows and everything seems to be syncing just fine but as Calendar is updating it crashes everytime I try it with a message to say the software is closing and problem will be reported back to Microsoft.

Please can anyone tell me how I can continue to sync my S6 and outlook without paying for an external software such as Galaxy Sync which I've found. 

Samsung Kies worked perfectly with my s4 and met my needs. I am very disappointed if my new S6 can't sync as I MUST find a solution or this phone is going back and I'll resort back to my S4!!.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Gemma, Wayne and Jeff

Thought I'd let you know that I have resolved my problem with the help of Samsung Techie team.

Smart switch does sync perfectly now for my Contacts, Task and Calendar and it has not been necessary for me to purchase any software and incurr costs.

I used the Samsung Smart switch software to transfer all my date from my old S4 to my new S6. Seems this can sometimes lead to the Calendar crashing when you subsequently sync. All the techie did to fix it was to clear all my calendar date in my S6 and then use the Smart switch syc facility to put it back on again but this time directly from the laptop rather than my S4.

So I am happy and you can now be aware that Smart switch works and syncs well with my Outlook now.

Thanks again for your responses

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@SusyQ

I’ve never used Smart Switch, but is there an option to deselect the calendar?

If so, does the sync go through ok without that option?

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

There is no easy answer to this. Samsung in their wisdom removed the option to sync with Outlook in newer versions of Kies.

There may be some freeware that will help you but your best bet is to buy the right software for $30/£20.

For the sake if £20 is it worth going back to a 2 year old phone?

Or change to using a gmail account and Google calendar. That will update wirelessly without any need for syncing manually.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Hi Wayne following up your suggestion - Smart Switch does work for Contacts and Tasks just fine if I deselect Calendar. It is clearly Calendar that is causing Smart Switch to crash each time.

Any other ideas to resolve my problem?

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@SusyQ – We’ve no further information on this.

The best advice is what @jeffkinn as suggested.

Hi Gemma, Wayne and Jeff

Thought I'd let you know that I have resolved my problem with the help of Samsung Techie team.

Smart switch does sync perfectly now for my Contacts, Task and Calendar and it has not been necessary for me to purchase any software and incurr costs.

I used the Samsung Smart switch software to transfer all my date from my old S4 to my new S6. Seems this can sometimes lead to the Calendar crashing when you subsequently sync. All the techie did to fix it was to clear all my calendar date in my S6 and then use the Smart switch syc facility to put it back on again but this time directly from the laptop rather than my S4.

So I am happy and you can now be aware that Smart switch works and syncs well with my Outlook now.

Thanks again for your responses

SusyQ
Thanks Wayne. I just left for holiday for 10 days and have left my business laptop at home.

I'll try your suggestion when I return and let you know.

Thanks for responding

SusyQ
Thanks Jeff for your response.

I'm still hopeful that I can get Smart Switch to sync as Samsung tech team tell me it should and I'm loathe to have to pay for something I previously had for no cost.

As a last resort I may have to pay!!.

Appreciate your candid reply and advice