main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Samsung S7 Edge Nougat update (Android7.0)

Highlighted
4: Newbie

Hi,

Is anybody aware when the nougat update will be pushed to the S7 Edge devices by Vodafone?

L

View more options
601 REPLIES 601
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Hi

There is quite a bit of discussion about Nougat release. 

Some say it started from the 17th of this month and some others says it's delayed. 

Vodafone won't comment on firmware releases I'm afraid. 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-products-services/Firmware/m-p/2421980#M4420

I'm using an unbranded s7 edge eagerly awaiting.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.0  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
Highlighted

If it's the same as previous releases Samsung will release to network branded first and then push out unbranded shortly after

View more options
Highlighted

Hi  @Nabs

That's an interesting thought. 

I would have thought the un branded phones would perhaps recieve an update quicker as it's not delayed by the networks testing and tweaking it for their branded handsets. 

View more options
Highlighted

@BandOfBrothers this is the case with all other manufacturers but Samsung seem to do things the opposie way. I guess they use the networks to test and iron out any bugs before releasing it to their own (unbranded) customers...

It may have changed but I know that certainly was the case for several major releases. At one point Vodafone was the first in Europe to release Samsung updates, not sure if this will still be the case though

EDIT: sammobile.com are listed the BTU version yesterday https://www.sammobile.com/2017/01/18/full-android-7-0-firmware-for-the-galaxy-s7-now-available-onlin...

View more options
Highlighted

Sadly I have the XEU variant. 

Next time I'll buy direct from Samsung and not a Samsung Experience Store which is a badged up shop owned and run via Carphone Warehouse.

View more options
Highlighted
View more options
Highlighted
63johnw and everyone thanks for the reply. Looks like it will be soon then.
View more options
Highlighted
A word of advice @luke90x I would wait a few days after release to see if anyone finds any serious bugs before updating, I have been stung in the past with a Samsung update that caused serious issues and took a while for a fix.
View more options
Highlighted

I've been watching some threads from people who signed up to the Beta programme and it looks to be OK. 

However good advice @63johnw

I also waiting too and watch as their is invariably bugs still to iron out. 

Always do a full back up before hand too. 

View more options
Highlighted
12: Established

I ran the beta for last couple of months and it was stable for daily use, barley noticed any bugs, well none that caused a serious issue.

I flashed my phone with latest BTU firmware on 17th when it was released and so far its buttery smooth, I may well flash it with VOD firmware once availble to take advantage of WiFi calling as this time BTU does not have the option like it did with MM

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro.

View more options
Highlighted

Edit:

Following my previous post I've now got WiFi calling on my S7 Edge with BTU Nougat Firmware, thanks to someone over on XDA Developers forum the process I did was follows:

Deactivate WiFi calling from Vodafone app.

Wait 15 mins and text 'CALLING' to 97888

Wait for confirmation text from Vodafone to say it's been enabled.

Reboot phone.

Check 'WiFi Calling' option within phone settings.

Bobs your Uncle!!

Screenshot_20170119-200719.pngScreenshot_20170119-202330.png

View more options
Highlighted

SGE7 has had wifi calling for ages on Marshmellow

View more options
Highlighted

if you give an information, try to give the correct one! It's the exact opposite! Unbranded phones have already gotten the update, EE phones got the update a few days ago and Vodafone should follow soon, but if you buy your phone without a contract, you get the update first, it has always been the case! 

View more options
Highlighted

@prodigualson wrote:

if you give an information, try to give the correct one! It's the exact opposite! Unbranded phones have already gotten the update, EE phones got the update a few days ago and Vodafone should follow soon, but if you buy your phone without a contract, you get the update first, it has always been the case! 

Completely incorrect. In my experience unbranded Samsung phones were always the last ones to receive an OS update and had to wait until after all the network updates had been released.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
Highlighted
I have to agree with @jeffkinn here, from my experience with Samsung phones and having owned most of the galaxy range since S2 I've found that the unbranded / unlocked version to receive the update last.

View more options
Highlighted
14: Advanced member
I have a unbranded s7 3dge and like most people in the UK I have not received the new update either the problem is with samsung themselves not releasing it to all mobiles at once thay have released it to a certain few phones only the first being those on the beta testing then a few others it's got some thing to with your build number so check that under your phones settings then head over to SamMobile and it will tell you if there is an up date for your phone. Or if you have the pc version of smart swith connect your phone to your pc start smart switch wait about ten minutes if a blue Square pops up with the word update you can click on it and it will update your phone for you to android 7.0

:robotmad:

View more options
Highlighted

Hi, 

Any signs of the update for VodafoneUK?

Did somebody recive the notification?

Regards,

Lukas

View more options
Highlighted
Nothing on mine.
View more options
Highlighted

@luke90x wrote:

Hi, 

Any signs of the update for VodafoneUK?

Did somebody recive the notification?

Regards,

Lukas

I've seen on another android forum I visit that a Vodafone UK customer has received the update on their s7 edge. 

View more options