Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sending Text and Picture Messages

yacob-ahmed
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Vodafone does it cost to send a text from a mobile data plan?

I seem to be able to send text and picture messages with my Huawei M2 8" tablet. Is it free?

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @yacob-ahmed

Multi Media Messages - MMS - are not part of a persons Tariff text messaging allowance.

Here is a Vodafone link that explains > Why-have-I-been-charged-for-a-text-message.

What I find for example is that an emoji added that's in the devices actual keyboard does not equate to changing a normal SMS text to a MMS so it isn't charged for in my experience. 

This is from Vodafones T&C's. 

Standard text message (up to 160 characters) 35p

Long text message (over 160 characters) 35p

Picture messages (up to 300kb) 55p

Video messages 55p

Non-standard UK text messages e.g. call forwarding services (e.g. 07744, 07755) 35p

Because MMS texts are restricted to a 300kb file size and charged for I personally use email and other options are Facebook messenger , Whstsapp and Viber and BBM as some examples. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

It used to be the case that MBB contracts did not include a capability to send SMS messages, although there was a capability to receive them, since this was required in order to receive service messages from Vodafone. Logically you might expect the same to apply to MMS, although I have no clear recollection on this point. I think that maybe some other networks had provisioned their MBB service to include outgoing SMS, but my memory of this is even vaguer!

I can't see a specific ban in the current Ts&Cs, but at the same time there is no provision in the price plan for it.

Have you actually tried sending an SMS, or is it simply a capability that the tablet has, but it requires a SIM that also has the capability? If you haven't already tried it, you could try sending an SMS to a conveniently available phone (so that you can see whether it gets through); if it does work, do you get charged for it? Also, if it does work, do you receive any warnings that you shouldn't have done it??

Edited to add: Just seen @AnnS's post. It sounds as though things may have moved on from the situation I describe!

AnnS

@Annie_N

Although you can send SMS and MMS using a data SIM on a tablet, it will only work for pay monthly, it won't work for PAYG as there is no way of charging for the messages.

Annie_N

@AnnS Ah, that would explain it! I actually had one of the old PAYG "never-expiring" plans, where we had cash credit which ran down 1p at a time, so logically we could have been charged, but the SIM simply wasn't provisioned for outgoing messages. Then I moved to an area with virtually no data signal, so had to give up on MBB.