Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Text cost

dscott2701
9: Established

My new tablet allows me to text as well but don't have a text allowance on the mobile broadband SIM so I was wondering what the charge is per text sent if I used this option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @dscott2701

You will be charged 35p for a standard text message.

You don't mention is the tablet is PAYG or contract.  If you are on PAYG, with the credit being converted into a data package and no way of charging for SMS you won't be able to send but will be able to receive. 

If you have a mobile phone with a text messaging allowance, it may be better to send the message from the phone, this way, there will be no charge.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

I rather suspect you'll find it doesn't work, though you could try one, and see what turns up on your bill! I think there isn't a pricing structure for outgoing texts on a data SIM, although you should be able to receive incoming texts.

Outgoing texts working fine outgoing calling don't.

ToniCa

Well, don't send too many until you're sure of the cost! OOB rate? But maybe someone else knows?

AnnS

Hi @dscott2701

You will be charged 35p for a standard text message.

You don't mention is the tablet is PAYG or contract.  If you are on PAYG, with the credit being converted into a data package and no way of charging for SMS you won't be able to send but will be able to receive. 

If you have a mobile phone with a text messaging allowance, it may be better to send the message from the phone, this way, there will be no charge.

It is indeed pay monthly as is my mobile phone with a unlimited text  allowance I was thinking if it weren't expensive if I happened to have hold of my tablet I may send the odd one. I was thinking maybe the 10p mark. For 35p each I would rather pick up my mobile phone or install a message app such as Viber or WHATSAPP.

Thanks for the answers.

ToniCa

That would explain it - I used to have a PAYG dongle, and was 99+% sure I couldn't send texts. But I also hadn't thought the cost could be as much as 35p - ouch! - the OOB cost of texts on PAYG is only 14p.