Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS V2 will not connect to my BT Home Hub 3

flatch69
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I received my brand new VSS V2 on Friday. I followed the set-up guide in the box but after 48 hours all I have is a steady power light and the system and phones lights flashing at the same time.

After 24 hours, I read some threads on this forum, I have done the following:-

1, press and hold the reset button on the VSS

2, opened ports 8, 50, 123, 500, 1237, 4500 on my BT Home Hub 3

3, enabled port clamping

4, enabled DMZ for the VSS

5, I even turn the firewall off for 2 hours (now turned back on)

It has been over 24 hours with these settings on my Home Hub but I still have the same flashing lights display.

What should I try next?

Serial number is 40112873829

27 REPLIES 27

Well I'd just like to say thanks to whoever managed to get my box working.  It's just taken 20 days and an email to the CEO.  Anyone else who has any problems, I'd suggest the same route.  Within 2 working days it's up and running!

Hi stewarda24s,

God to hear that is working now for you.

With any issues we cannot resolve within our team, we forward the details to our technical teams for investigation. We don't ignore any posts or emails we get as any information for issues like this may be useful in resolving things. Our technical teams had been investigating this and, as you mention, were able to resolve this for you.

Can I just check, going back to your original post, has your local cell resumed service or is this still down? If it's down, can I get you to check the Network Issues troubleshooter and post the answers to the questions for us and we'll be happy to get that looked into as well.

Dave

Hi,

I'm posting here to request a resync for my SS v2 S/N 21230232049.

I've been stuck on the "one light flashing" state for nearly a year. I've opened all the ports on my BT Home Hub 3 (TCP 8 & 50, UDP 123, 500 & 4500, both 1723). I'm getting <80ms results on my traceroute to the Vodafone server(s) (via PPoA). My home network works fine, but the SS doesn't even seem to manage a DHCP request to my server - I have to assign an IP to the MAC address via "arp -s" before I can ping it (which I can do successfully). I've done two rounds with the online chat person (pleasant enough, but ultimately fruitless).

Anyway, I've just tried putting the SS in the DMZ of the Home Hub 3, so perhaps that plus a resync will do the trick. Otherwise I'll be asking for some sort of upgrade to the latest SS model.

Cheers,

John :^P

Hi synchromesh

Thanks for your post. I've now performed a resync as requested and a factory reset will be required to complete the process as follows:

• Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the rest button held, remove and re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button
  • The VSS should come online within the hour

If this doesn't do the trick, please could you post back your traceroute results anyway so that we can take a look, and also your external IP address?

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have reset the VSS and I'll see how it's doing in the morning (although I'm not optimistic).

My external IP address is 86.138.48.162. My traceroute results are:

gravel ~ # tracepath 212.183.133.177

1: gravel 0.200ms pmtu 1500
1: bthomehub 4.997ms
1: bthomehub 8.095ms
2: 217.47.70.122 64.838ms asymm 3
3: 217.47.202.161 66.475ms
4: 213.1.69.138 78.488ms
5: 217.41.169.225 72.157ms
6: 217.41.169.109 73.292ms
7: 109.159.251.193 71.217ms
8: core1-te-0-0-0-14.ilford.ukcore.bt.net 84.453ms
9: peer1-xe10-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net 127.521ms asymm 10
10: LNDGW2.arcor-ip.net 83.448ms
11: 85.205.116.10 81.206ms asymm 12
12: no reply
13: no reply
14: no reply
^C
gravel ~ #

I would be grateful for any additional assistance you could offer.

Cheers,

John :^P

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi synchromesh,

Thanks for coming back to us.  I've checked the IP address and it's not blocked by our network so won't be causing any issues.  The traceroute that you'e supplied is a bit concerning in as much that the response times need to be less than 200ms whereas they do exceed this a number of times. 

How did it do following the resync that was done by Simon?

Phil

Hi Phil,

Simon's resync had no effect. I'm still stuck at the "one light flashing" stage.

As far as my traceroute results go, I can't do much about them. Are they "acceptable" or not? Running a VPN is hardly rocket science these days - is the VSS2 capable of doing this reliably under these conditions? It worked well for the first six months or more, but BT (I gather) have been steadily "upgrading" their network in our area and at some point early this year it just stopped working.

Is there any sort of upgrade available to the latest model VSS? I'd prefer not to have to shell out £100 just to test whether it works for me.

Thanks for your help - is there anything else we can try?

Hi synchromesh

Thanks for your post here. There is no ‘will’ or ‘won’t’ answer to your trace route results. It ‘could’ work but you would probably experience regular dropouts due to the quality of your connection. Looking at the ping times though, I don’t think there is much hope in it working.

Perhaps it might be worth contacting BT and query the quality of your line? Maybe they’re aware of an issue or are implementing changes that will mean an improvement in your service.

Thanks

Wayne