Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VodaFone Broadband Wi-Fi losing strength and dropping

TapZxK
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello Community,

I have been constant issues with VodaFone Broadband, specifically Wi-Fi.

I live in a shared household and I'm the account holder for the VodaFone Broadband installed here.

it's a three storey house with Router installed on the 3rd floor and wi-fi extenders (Belkin N300) on the 2nd and Ground floor.

The issue is following: wifi will work fine and then it will get weaker, for example streaming youtube on the phone the video will start to buffer and eventually wi-fi signal will disappear completely. (Phone, Tablet or any other device will lose the connection.)

This is occuring about once every hour an takes around good 10 minutes for wi-fi to regain it's previous strength.

This is happening at all times, even if I have 1 device connected to the wi-fi and I'm alone at house.

Maximum amount of devices that are connected to this wi-fi is 6 and it's very rare, ussualy there are 4, no Laptops, only phones and tablets.

There are no downloads taking place during the cut in the signal. as mentioned above I have tested this when I have a day off, I'm alone at house, with just my iPad connected.

I have to say that Wi-Fi range extenders (Belkin N300) also keep losing the signal to the main Wi-Fi.

We Have Vodafone Broadband (up to 74Mb) installed Since November 2016 and issue started about 2 weeks in to the contract.

No issues with the LAN connection.

Previously we had PlusNet, with speeds of up to only 17MB and didn't have any issues with wi-fi. router was installed in the EXACTLY same spot.

Any Help will be much appreciated as my house mates are not happy with this and to be honest I can't justify paying the price for what we get.

As mentioned above, there were no issues with previous ISP with the equipment installed in exactly the same locations.

Best Regards,

TapZxK

10 REPLIES 10

AS592
1: Seeker

I have also recently changed to Vodafone fibre broadband.  The WiFi performance of the router supplied is a joke - constantly dropping out regardless of the number of devices connected.

I live in an area with poor phone signal so use the WiFi calling on my phone, and every phone call would drop several times in a conservation!

Having looked on here it seems this is a common problem with Vodafone routers as many people experience similar problems.

My old BT smart hub always gave rock solid WiFi performance.

However I have finally found a fix.....

I took my old BT smart hub and reconfigured it as just a wireless access point (plenty of guides on the internet how to do this so they don’t conflict).

I then disabled the WiFi on the Vodafone router and connected the BT router to the Vodafone one with an Ethernet cable.

Hey presto! Nice 76mb connection through the Vodafone router and my glorious BT WiFi reinstated!

Not a problem encountered since.

if you still have your old router you will be able to do the same. Basically set an IP address on it that’s unused by the new router and disable DHCP on it.